PDA

View Full Version : Max charge of imr 4895 in .308 with 178grain amax

Pages : 1 [2]

darkker
06-14-2016, 12:03 PM
I think you are talking about a seperate issue, but to speak to that:

I think they weigh for the same reasons everyone else does. Accurate scales are a dime a dozen, and have been around since Spartan times. Volume devices that are actually calibrated in a volume measurement, not so much. Beyond that, I'm not saying that you cannot shoot consistently with weight; that is a comment about load technique more than equipment. The point of this thread, as I read it anyhow, is to "Find the max load in grains"; with a side of Lawyer load discussion". A SAAMI max charge weight, cannot be found by grains alone. You need to watch velocities from the start to be close, or better to have a pressure system to actually measure. Now while I'm fuzzy on the specific rules of the Palma/F-class boys, generally speaking, "professional shooters" aren't concerned with SAAMI pressures. They are only concerned with ultimate performance.
Whether or not they run 60,000 or 70,000 psi doesn't matter. That the brass doesn't explode and lock the gun in comp is what matters. Guess I'm not sure if I also posted here, but have elsewhere... Most commercial brass(not Federal) will begin to "show signs of pressure" when you approach the 75,000 psi mark. So again, if you don't show "signs", that doesn't mean it is a SAAMI max load; merely that you haven't found that particular brass' tensile strength yet. The Creedmoor is a prime example. That is a 2600 fps cartridge with 140gr bullets. But how many people online or in comps, constantly post that they can get 27-2800 fps from their load? It's stunning the amount. Those loads are well over max, despite what brand name is stamped on their cases, or what personality said it.

There is also a very large dose of keeping up with the Jones' in any sport. IF you do what the winners do, then at least you aren't at a disadvantage.

If you don't fully understand a thing, and therefore don't have an accurate way to measure it; That doesn't mean you can't get the results you seek.
On the flip side of that coin, getting a result you wanted isn't exclusively because you have an intimate understanding of how how you arrived there.

Cheers