PDA

View Full Version : Bedding question for Savage Actions

ThorBird
07-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I purchased a stock that was bedded for the 3 screw target action. It appears to be a great bedding job, however, the tang area is bedded. I have been a stickler about free floating the tang area of all of my savages, and that has certainly worked well for me. Anybody have an opinion on bedding that area, or free floating it? I fired the gun in the stock, and get 2 shots in virtually the same hole, and the 3rd shot goes about an inch over to the upper right?

GUNFANATIC
07-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I suppose if it were me, I'd dremmel out the bedding in the tang area some.

82boy
07-18-2010, 06:05 PM
The tang doesn't need free floated. I would compleatly re-bed the stock.

ThorBird
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys for the advise. I think since it is already bedded. I will free float the tang, and then if it doesn't respond, I'll redo the bedding.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
If it was mine to deal with I'd leave the bedding as is but cut out the area of the tang. Float that area like you would the barrel. ;)

Budweiser360
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
If you are on the bandwagon of guys that also bed the barrel nut and an inch or two of the barrel, how is that any different than bedding the tang? 6 in one, half dozen in the other...I have shot the same rifle and load with the tang bedded and floated, it did not make one bit of difference in accuracy or consistency. If you are getting unexplained flyers and have exhausted all other solutions, re-bed it and forget it.

pdog06
07-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Actually, and Ive seen Fred back this up a few times, as long as the bedding job is done correctly it will not make a difference if the tang is bedded. Key word being "correctly". If done correctly the tang area bedding is basically just filling in some of the gap often seen, but is in no way putting any bind on the action. Only way to know for sure is to put some type of marker(lipstick or similar) on the action and see if it transfers evenly onto the stock when you tighten in the action.

That being said, I wouldnt want it that way and I would grind it down a little bit so it just floats. You shouldnt need to take it all out, cause chances are if you do there will be an even bigger gap between the tang and stock..

pa hog
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Vince, make sure there is no bedding material in the screw holes other than that, I'd just re-bed it target actions are the easiest one's to do.

tomme boy
07-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Guy's, you are all missing what he said. The stock was bedded to another action, not his. The whole thing needs to be re-bedded.