PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 F/TR butt pad and plate

RoadStarSlim
06-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Greetings,
New to the forum and rifle shooting. Been a pistol shooter for 30 years and just started getting into rifle shooting. Decided to try my hand at F class. Purchased a Savage Model 12 F/TR rifle and have started setting it up.

I want to adjust the spacing on the butt plate but can’t get the pad and plate off the rifle. I’ve removed the two screws in the plate but it will not come off. I wrote savage and asked them about removing the pad and plate. Their response was:

“Our gunsmiths have not removed the butt pad and our stocks come in as a complete unit. Not sure what is holding in on besides the screws. Maybe your local gunsmith can assist you.”

Can y’all provide thoughts on what might resolve my issue without having to approaching a gunsmith?

Robinhood
06-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Recently Fred talked about the butt pads being glued on to one of the wood stocks but can't recall If it was the FTR.

SlowTrigger
06-02-2016, 07:14 PM
The 12 F/TR is a great starter rifle for your purposes. Don't know about the butt pad though.

RoadStarSlim
06-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Bringing it to the top hoping someone has an answer.

sharpshooter
06-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Does it just have a rubber pad on it, or is it the adjustable version?

SlowTrigger
06-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Does it just have a rubber pad on it, or is it the adjustable version?
The 12 F/TR comes with a rubber pad on it. The stock itself is not adjustable, but it comes with 2 cheek pads of different sizes to accommodate the user.

RoadStarSlim
06-13-2016, 10:23 AM
As slowtrigger stated, it has a rubber pad. appears to have a 1/4" plastic spacer and then the stock. The rubber pad and spacer do not appear to want to separate from the stock. I've remove the 2 screws and pulled and twisted attempting to get it off the stock with no luck. I've even left the screws out and been shooting it without the screws hoping with will pop loose at some point.

sharpshooter
06-13-2016, 10:57 PM
If you are at that point, the only thing holding it on is some varnish that seeped through the gap. Start at the bottom with a razor blade and see if it want to separate.

Forrest Mc
08-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Recently Fred talked about the butt pads being glued on to one of the wood stocks but can't recall If it was the FTR.
The butt pad on my FTR comes loose when the screws come out. There is no sign of glue or varnish on the stock. You might try laying the stock on a bench with the plate/pad hanging over and sharply tapping. Use a piece of hardwood between the hammer and plastic to prevent dings.

Fotheringill
08-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Mine will not come off without damaging anything.