PDA

View Full Version : Holy mother of Savage

Pages : 1 [2]

Anschutz
06-02-2016, 11:45 AM
I'd have to say I'm not impressed in the least. I can get lucky and shoot a one hole five round group at 100 yards with my stock 11TH .270 with handloads. Consistently is a completely different ball game.
I'd have to see more than 100 yards too. You can get lucky at 100 but flaws are magnified the further you get. After all, who spends all that money to shoot at 100?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

md7989
06-02-2016, 02:35 PM
So to sum it up for anyone who reads it after this post, it seems that everyone thinks:

1. It's total BS

2. A pipe dream that some millenial college screen jockey who's never got his hands dirty created to win a defense contract

3. Not possible and just a heat soak nightmare

4. Not sock-knockingly shocking enough results

(if you can't read through my sarcasm then I feel bad for you haha) :thumb:

tufrthnails
06-02-2016, 03:14 PM
So to sum it up for anyone who reads it after this post, it seems that everyone thinks:

1. It's total BS

2. A pipe dream that some millenial college screen jockey who's never got his hands dirty created to win a defense contract

3. Not possible and just a heat soak nightmare

4. Not sock-knockingly shocking enough results

(if you can't read through my sarcasm then I feel bad for you haha) :thumb:

haha I think you got it covered there!

SlowTrigger
06-02-2016, 07:34 PM
That thing around the scope looks like a protective cage, just in case someone throws the rifle. Looks like someone's R&D project didn't get enough funding...

To each his own. If it shoots, great.

Kingair001
06-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Don't get it actually

I see people shooting smaller groups with a 'normal' rifle than this one at 100 yards

I am really not impressed at all . . .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

handirifle
06-06-2016, 03:48 PM
It makes me wonder if soldering small diameter tubes around a barrel, in a precise pattern, would have the same effect? I don't think fluting would be quite the same in strength, because the flute is only half a tube, essentially, so it would not be able to create the opposing force he mentioned.

Kingair001
06-06-2016, 03:56 PM
It makes me wonder if soldering small diameter tubes around a barrel, in a precise pattern, would have the same effect? I don't think fluting would be quite the same in strength, because the flute is only half a tube, essentially, so it would not be able to create the opposing force he mentioned.
Fluting a barrel doesn't increase accuracy at all !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BroadSide
06-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Its through drilled and vented near the receiver. Scope mount thing is for sight shifting lenses to move zero of the image so you dont touch the scope.

https://youtu.be/8FvOup7KUqA

DrThunder88
06-07-2016, 06:08 AM
Two more questions:

Can someone validate his statement that his barrel with the holes is "significantly stiffer" ("minimum of eight times as stiff") than a solid barrel with the same dimensions?
Did anyone else notice how the company's name looks a bit like "Taco MHQ"?

I'm trying to think of an analogy for the first question that would help me intuit his claim. It may just not be intuitive. Since he put a figure to it, I assume he or someone else has done some math. Of course, the barrel has eight more holes in it than a normal barrel, so he may just be spitballing.

The second question may just be because I missed lunch today.

LoneWolf
06-07-2016, 08:36 AM
More holes are just more places for dirt and grit to get into....

yobuck
06-07-2016, 09:56 AM
The question is: Does it shoot well enough compared to traditional technology to justify the expense? The target picture is, underwhelmingly, a four-shot group at 100 yards. When they tout that the optical system (which I had previously glossed over) "a maximum effective range of 3200yds plus" and the barrel "allow[s] a longer shooting period", I'd expect more sock-knocking results.

Id like to hear their definition of (effective). Is not one hole .308, and anything over considered a raged I hole group?
Even ive had a few nickel size one hole 30 cal groups.

BroadSide
06-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Two more questions:

Can someone validate his statement that his barrel with the holes is "significantly stiffer" ("minimum of eight times as stiff") than a solid barrel with the same dimensions?
Did anyone else notice how the company's name looks a bit like "Taco MHQ"?

I'm trying to think of an analogy for the first question that would help me intuit his claim. It may just not be intuitive. Since he put a figure to it, I assume he or someone else has done some math. Of course, the barrel has eight more holes in it than a normal barrel, so he may just be spitballing.

The second question may just be because I missed lunch today.
I suspect that his "similar dimensions" statement is purposely vague and he is comparing his barrel to a barrel of similar weight or of similar cross-sectional area of actual material.

The stiffness is his barrel will be higher due to its overall dimensions.