PDA

View Full Version : help with model 110 new barrel,cal stock trigger change for my good ol 110

tomnewguy
05-31-2016, 05:49 AM
hello savage shooters i am Tomnewguy. my savage model 110 la 26 inch barrel in the factory black plastic stock has been a great hunter and i am now wanting advice from other savage shooters. This is the plan put together a long heavy barrel contour rifle from the pre accu- trigger days 110 la is this a good platform to start from? the fact i am disabled and cannot afford to make costly mistakes brings me to you guys for helpfull suggestions. I want a rifle capable of hitting good groups at up to the 1000 yard mark and with proper shot placement making an ethical kill. its now chambered in rem 7mm mag, pleased to hopefully get some informed replys thanks!

Robinhood
05-31-2016, 09:08 AM
Your platform is as good as any if you plan on using a long action cartridge. One thing you might want to learn is if your action is stagger feed or center feed. The former has the mag attached to the action and the later the mag attached to the stock. I had read in a previous post you were interested in a detachable magazine and this will help there. The Timney trigger is good as is the Sav I. The Save II is a busy set-up and I have learned to appreciate the SSS trigger.

As far as making an ethical kill at 1000, that requires a lot of support outside of the rifle if t all. 500 maybe is much more feasable. The cartridge is subjective to your intended prey. A magnum case is ideal but it can be done with something like, say a 280 Remington

Dave Hoback
05-31-2016, 09:58 AM
I think sticking with the 7mm rem mag is a perfect idea, when your talking about making kills at extended ranges. 7mm bullets are leading the way in ballistic coefficient. And the Rem. Mag case has the powder capacity to drive the heavier pills at velocities required for extended range killing power. Everyone will tell you go Brux, Bartlein or Benchmark barrel because "they're the best!". Well, sure... If your one of the top 10 long range marksmen in the world! For the rest of us mortals, a Criterion, McGowen, Shilen or Pac-Nor prefit barrel will shoot better than we can. Triggers? Yeah, pick one of the flavors listed. Timney, sss, Sav1. They all work. I do all my own trigger work, so I have no use for the aftermarket units. Another big part is going to be your stock, or chassis of choice. You must have a good quality, *true*, full free floating barrel. In a stock that will require bedding. A chassis, is designed with free floating built in. And don't forget the little parts. Don't rely on stock attachment parts. Make sure to get a billet machined barrel nut and recoil lug... .250" thick is best IMHO. I turn to PTG for these, and they also offer a billet machined bolt head as well, which can improve bolt lockup. If you put this combination together, and you do your part, it has no option but to be an accurate set up.

tomnewguy
05-31-2016, 10:19 AM
i thought using the 1000 yd kill would help me get at least some responses, it now or has been right on at 300 but the group is wider than it once was i notice some good prices on some tactical stocks that would let me free float a heavy contour barrel but.i believe my mag is connected to the action ive only had it off at the time i first bought the gun to do what i could to the factory trigger years ago i was able to lighten it some and get a pretty good clean break and almost no creep now the trigger has changed some creep before the break i with an empty shell case checked with safety on and off hold it and still is safe when i hold the forestock a few inchesoff the carpet and give it the arkansas safety test i will look at the ballistics of the 280 rem compared to the 7mm rem. mag its chambered in now and thanks robinhood

Robinhood
05-31-2016, 01:28 PM
If your groups are opening up you may just need to run some Bore-Tech or Wipe-Out copper remover through it.

RC20
06-01-2016, 01:13 PM
I think a 1000 kill attempt is based on what you are trying to shoot. Coyotes or vamints not as much an issue, game animals, yes.

I don't know that you could even attempt to make an ethical kill at 1000 yds. even with the best setup. Shot placement at 1000 yds? If you can shoot 1 MOA, that's possibly 10 inches off at 1000 (acualy somewhat more) - add in wind, heat, thermals, field shooting setup.....

Can you even find the spot you shot at 1000 yds away? If the animal moves at all even at 200 yds it can be tough to find.

Fun to shoot groups out there yes, varmints, yea I guess, game animals, no.

psharon97
06-01-2016, 09:55 PM
A lot will depend on how much you want to spend. If you want a cheaper setup than what I built my 7mm rem mag for I would do something like this:
Choate tactical stock: $188 http://www.combatstocks.com/collections/choate-ultimate-sniper-stocks/products/choate-ultimate-varmint-stock-for-savage-long-action?variant=1253689984
SSS competition trigger: $102 http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
CBI barrel, recoil lug: $348 http://northlandshooterssupply.com/upgrades/nss-upgrades/

You didn't mention scope, scope base, or scope rings.
For scope mount, I like EGW and run them on most of my rigs with no issues. $44 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458177/egw-1-piece-picatinny-style-20-moa-elevated-base-savage-110-through-116-flat-rear-long-action-matte

Scope rings: $40 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477123043/weaver-tactical-picatinny-style-rings-matte

Scope: Many great ones to choose from. For lowest price fixed power, I would take a hard look at SWFA. However, scopes are something you should never skimp on. I like the Vortex Viper PST line, Burris, Leupold, Sightron and many others. They will all server you well. But spend as much money as you can on glass.