PDA

View Full Version : Bipod suggestion

4Patriot
05-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Anyone care to offer suggestions for a bipod for my Axis 223? Good value. A modest price point, in keeping with the most cost of the rifle, would seem appropriate. But not junk; durable.

scooterf79
05-30-2016, 12:20 PM
I like my Harris bipods...6-13in if I remember right. They're $60ish I think. I've had them for years....no problems
Scooter

Bradincheek
05-30-2016, 12:50 PM
I put a Blackhawk on my 22-250 $50 from cabelas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongRange
05-30-2016, 03:59 PM
6" to 9" Harris S series with notched legs

DrThunder88
05-30-2016, 06:32 PM
What or how will you be shooting with it?

Zen Archery
05-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Running 3-9 BlackHawk tilt roughly 55.00. Loved it so much I bought 2 more.

4Patriot
05-30-2016, 07:54 PM
What or how will you be shooting with it?
Bench shooting for now. Also prone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

m12lrs
05-30-2016, 08:16 PM
I have an atlas that I really like

Robinhood
05-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Bench shooting; Quality rest or bag
Prone: Sinclair

LoneWolf
05-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Get a Harris 6-9 with Swivel and Notched Legs. It will last you a lifetime of shooting and offers a lot of options in the future if you want to upgrade it with the after market accessories available from PASS through vendors like CORE and Short Action Precision (SAP). You can get adapters that allow you to run all the atlas accessories on it and it's the least complex most reliable design there is. I've tried and played with most of what's available and ended up back at the Harris for it's simplicity, reliability, and ability to be adapted if you need it for more than just the standard everyday range trip.

doodedge
05-31-2016, 04:47 PM
I snagged one off amazon for 15 bucks. No issues other than a loose screw, little loc tite goes a long way. Had it a year.

HalfTrack
06-01-2016, 01:24 PM
I Guys, I have used Harris Bipods and they are great. I am trying to find a unit that would allow for tilt/leveling for my AR-10. It has a standard hand guard and the rail mount is slightly tilted.
Any suggestions where I can get one about 6-13 inches with tilt?
Thanks for your suggestions, HalfTrack

Savageman25
06-02-2016, 02:06 AM
Look at the Tiptop bipod. They are very similar to a Harris accept they offer more features for a cheaper price. I just ordered one to see if they are as good as the reviews on Amazon said they were. They seem to be well built. I haven't used it because I just got it today actually. Looking it over it seems like a good buy though.

LoneWolf
06-02-2016, 07:51 AM
You just have to be careful with the Harris knock off because many are only good in the lowest position. A lot of what I saw with them was as soon as you start to extend the legs the legs start to bow.

Savageman25
06-03-2016, 01:56 AM
After reading your post, I took a look at the bipod and extended the legs to look for a bow or a sign of weakness. I gotta be honest, they seem legit (as in solid). I even have the tall model 13"-23" and it seemed very strong. I pushed on them quite a bit. I have an atlas psr that I use a lot and this thing seems to be just as solid. I'm the kind of person who spends top dollar on stuff if I feel it's worth it. I really think these tiptop bipods are a solid bipod for the price, which saves me money because I was about to spend a lot more on modular evolution bipod, but I think I've found a much less expensive alternative. I still think I might spring for an accutac sr5 though.

LoneWolf
06-03-2016, 07:39 AM
What rifle did you have it on? I had one on an Axis for a short stint while waiting for a Harris to be delivered. Mine was in a Heavy birchwood stock built by Fred at SSS with a Varmint contour barrel. On the taller heights I could see the legs bow. Mind you some of the knock off brands may be built pretty well as I don't even know what brand the on I had was. It's just something to look out for!

MI223
06-03-2016, 10:23 AM
A harris brsm is about as good as it gets for about the 100 or so mark. But the blackhawk bipod seem to be a decent alternative for about half the cost. I had to go through a few cheep bipods befor buying a harris and i would never go back

hardnosestreetcop
06-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I have the same question concerning bipods except my rifles are Savage Model 12 FV in 223 Remington & Model 10 FP-LE2 Heavy Barrel in 308 Winchester

Ryfulman
06-03-2016, 01:46 PM
I think the brand I bought was champion. Both have been great thus far and cost less than Harris. Harris is the top of the line but do you need top of the line.

Savageman25
06-03-2016, 03:25 PM
What rifle did you have it on? I had one on an Axis for a short stint while waiting for a Harris to be delivered. Mine was in a Heavy birchwood stock built by Fred at SSS with a Varmint contour barrel. On the taller heights I could see the legs bow. Mind you some of the knock off brands may be built pretty well as I don't even know what brand the on I had was. It's just something to look out for!

I have it on a savage 11 trophy predator hunter 6.5 creedmoor in a mdt tac21 chassis. I'm not sure the gun weight, but it isn't light. I totally agree that "knock offs" usually feel like I got a "rip-off". So if in doubt and want to only buy things once, buy the real thing. Most of the time it will cost you more in the long run, buying cheaper things anyway. In this particular case I took a gamble, but I have a little bit of funding to do that. I'll see how this tiptop holds up over time, I can only say it seems solid right now and I don't have anything to knock it currently.