PDA

View Full Version : Fixed sights question

AntarcticChamp
05-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Anybody ever successfully reinstall a barrel with fixed sights? I'd really like to have a 375 ruger 280 rem or 7mm mag pair with the 375 having fixed sights. Is this possible?

scooterf79
05-30-2016, 12:18 PM
You can install the barrel fine, but there's a 1 in 360 chance the sights will line up lol. The sights are put on the barrel after its installed at the factory.
Scooter

AntarcticChamp
05-30-2016, 05:26 PM
That's exactly the answer I'm looking for. U d hoped that the headspacing would necessitate proper alignment but I guess not

Anschutz
06-01-2016, 04:40 AM
It seems to me that you could machine a clamping base for a front sight that sits low enough to be used and use a receiver mounted rear peep. It would be a pain to readjust it every time but after that you'd be golden.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

earl39
06-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Actually the odds are better than 1-360 due to the tolerance stacking that can happen and the fact that head space is not exact (as in there is a range to play with and still be in spec).

Robinhood
06-02-2016, 11:26 PM
I have contemplated what Anschutz said. That would be expensive unless you have the ability to do all of the machining. I would think the front sight could easily be done with a clamp on ring with a simple post. Several options for a rear peep or target sight.

Anschutz
06-03-2016, 12:14 AM
I have contemplated what Anschutz said. That would be expensive unless you have the ability to do all of the machining. I would think the front sight could easily be done with a clamp on ring with a simple post. Several options for a rear peep or target sight.
This is true. Expensive for sure. You would also have the option to turn it upside down to stay out of the way of a scope.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk