PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - SSS Competition trigger doesn't work with new style bolt release!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

bodywerks
07-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Not without some MAJOR modification, at least...
I am referring to the newer model 10's such as the FCP variants where the bolt release is in the trigger guard. It just plain doesn't work unless you remove about 80% of the material from the button and the spring bracket.
I don't have any before pics but this is what the button and bracket look like after - those of you that have this style release will understand how much material I had to hack away...
The bracket - the spring portion had to be completely removed:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/2010-07-18090817.jpg
And the button - it was too long on the back side and I had to channel out the entire inside:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/2010-07-18090722.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/2010-07-18090642.jpg
Kind of frustrating having to find this out after the fact, but I think I made it work out OK. Just posting this as a heads up, and a little insight as to how to modify if so desired...all you need is a dremel and a few common bits(rotary file, cutoff wheel, sanding drum).

hailstone
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the new bolt release. I have a couple of Classic Model 14's with that release feature but the rest are old style. Since I have no intentions of replacing the Accua-Trigger on them doesn't make much difference. However if I should buy something down the road that's good information too know.

Carvera
07-18-2010, 02:11 PM
bodywerks,

Did you talk with anyone over at SSS before hacking/modifying all that you did?

bodywerks
07-18-2010, 02:51 PM
No, I did not contact SSS. They aren't open weekends and are nearly impossible to get a hold of when they are open.
Guaranteed, 100%, the trigger will not work without this modification - you can't even get the action in the stock.
I'm not saying that you have to do exactly this mod, but you have to do something. I like figuring things like this out on my own, and I am pretty sure Fred at SSS would have suggested a similar fix...

Carvera
07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
While I can't fault you for wanting to figure the trigger out on your own for your rifle, I would have been very leery of modifying my rifle as you have without either talking with SSS, or confiding with those here on the forum.

On SSS's site Fred states this of his competition trigger; "It may require some alteration to the trigger guard on some models, depending on the type of stock." I just can't imagine it having to be that hard?

Maybe there is a different type of SSS trigger for those using the newer Savage rifles, (like yours, or the newer Accu-Stock rifles)?

bodywerks
07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I am confident in my mechanical abilities and understanding of mechanical devices. I didnt feel it warranted the hassle of getting a hold of SSS. I'm not sure if this is the modification that Fred talked about needing to be done to the trigger guard or not. I guess it depends on the person as to how difficult or extensive a modification is. It wasn't a difficult modification to do, but IMO was a significant enough mod that I was surprised that it was not described in the instructions.
Regardless of whether I should have contacted SSS not, I assure you a mod was necessary and that my mod works - I just got back from the range after firing 50 rounds successfully without incident. And I installed and removed the bolt after every 5 rounds and the bolt release worked every time.
Oh, and I have heard the term 'breaks like glass' being used about this trigger - couldn't agree more!

Blue Avenger
07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Carlos, these triggers were made to fit guns before the newest style bolt release came out. I have not looked at fitting one, but would imagine more then normal fitting would be required.

juliomorris
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
SSS says you only have to remove the corner of the housing I asked a couple of weeks ago. But I know you have to do alot of grinding to the Rifle Basix trigger to get it to fit. I decided against the SSS trigger because I just wasn't sure how much you would have to take off and i didn't want to chance it.

charlesL
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
chaned one of these on my 10ML, cut the corner as instructed.very quick @ neat.Very Happy with product

bodywerks
07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
SSS says you only have to remove the corner of the housing I asked a couple of weeks ago. But I know you have to do alot of grinding to the Rifle Basix trigger to get it to fit. I decided against the SSS trigger because I just wasn't sure how much you would have to take off and i didn't want to chance it.

That is correct. You have to take a cutoff wheel to the trigger mounting bracket. That is in the instructions and took all of 2 minutes.

chaned one of these on my 10ML, cut the corner as instructed.very quick @ neat.Very Happy with product
The 10ML doesn't have the bolt release in the trigger guard, so no wonder it was very quick and neat.

scamp62
07-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I just ordered (last Thursday) a SSS Comp, Trigger for my 10 FCP-K !
Dose SSS supply an instruction sheet with the trigger ???
I have no problem doing a modification to my rifle, but I would like to know that the
mod’s are the right ones !!!!

bodywerks
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
There are very clear instructions for setting up the trigger, as well as a pictorial for modifying the trigger bracket for accutrigger models. That mod is nothing compared to this bolt release mod, which is not covered nor mentioned in the instructions, which is why I posted it.
Once you get the trigger and go to install it you will quickly understand why this has to be done.
Believe me, the hassle of Modding it to fit is grossly outweighed by the performance of this trigger so don't let it deter you!

scamp62
07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Well I do appreciate your heads up on this matter, I really would hope that SSS would let customers know about this, and address the mod, with documentation.
And to you “bodywerks” could you post a few more photos (different angels on parts) please !! thank you for the info, and I hope that your foot fungus problem is under control pal !!! ;D

rjtfroggy
07-20-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't have one but on the SSS website under Tech Updates there are pictures and instructions for a trigger install. Take a look and see if that is what you need to do.

bodywerks
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
There are no tech updates pertaining to the bolt release, only the trigger bracket, which is already in the instructions included with the trigger. It was the first thing I did. It has nothing to do with this problem of interfering with the bolt release in the trigger guard.
Scamp, figured someone would catch that - can you believe the quality of those pics, coming from a cellphone? LOL, that pamphlet was just junk mail that I used for contrast...me feets is clean :D

scamp62
07-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Hay bodywerks I get my trigger tomorrow and started to teardown my rifle, and I have a few Q’s ?
1: “the bracket” what do you do about the return spring ??? dose the button just free float
2: what is pic #2 of ???? this part I don’t recognize it.

bodywerks
07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes, the return spring is removed. But the only time the button would be able to free float is after pulling the trigger, and even then there is enough friction that it stays put. Once the gun is cocked and ready to fire, the bracket on the sear keeps the button from being able to move at all. And when the bolt is removed from the gun, the spring pressure on the sear keeps the button in place. I now have over 100 rounds downrange with not a single problem.
Pic # 2 is just a different view(bottom view) of the button, showing the new length of the button after shortening it.

scamp62
07-25-2010, 09:54 PM
So pic #3 was the first part of the mod, then pic #2 is the second part ??
And thanks for the info !!

bodywerks
07-26-2010, 08:50 AM
No. Both pics were taken at the same time. Pic 2 is the bottom view and pic 3 is the rear view.

scamp62
07-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Just wanted say “THANK YOU SIR” to “bodywerks” installed my new SSS Comp, Trigger today. It was a far easer job with you info, and pic’s. In fact I cut the pieces just by the pic’s you posted, and they fit !!!!
Good job pal!!!!