PDA

View Full Version : Pickup tailgate shooting setup?

rcmark
05-27-2016, 10:31 PM
I saw this:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/rush2830/tailgate%20bench%20rest%20008.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/rush2830/media/tailgate%20bench%20rest%20008.jpg.html)

Anyone seen or have any info on something like this?

futurerider103
05-27-2016, 11:12 PM
I have seen a video of a rifle with a muzzle break shooting off a tailgate blow break the tail light out of a Ford Ranger or F150.
I don't know what caliber it was but I don't think of shot that way with the barrel facing a light housing

yobuck
05-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Certainly it would work, but there would be some drawbacks to it in addition to the one mentioned regarding the muzzle brake.
The truck would need to be parked in such a way as to align with the target.
If the target moved as in say a prairie dog town, the truck would need to be realigned often.
If parked on an incline, the wheels would require blocking in order to level the truck/bench. (or remove the scope level) lol
As shown, it is strictly a right hand bench meaning leftys would need their own truck and blocking material. A problem where space is limited.
And in some states PA being one of them, you cant use the vehicle in any way. Even a sandbag on the hood is taboo.
Building an excellent portable bench with adjustable legs isn't rocket science.

Robinhood
05-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Nice work but in addition to yobucks points of light, a truck can be moved by the slightest of breezes. For anything greater than 300 yrds that is big issue. Building a sturdy and even somewhat light portable table is not that difficult. That tailgate table could still be utilized for your paraphernalia and a sandwitch.

yobuck
05-28-2016, 03:23 PM
If you pay attention to the details shown with quite a few benches shown for sale, you will see most of them are lacking in design.
Look at the terrain the bench sits on in the video or photo and you will find its always a nice level location.
Being solid and steady is simply one aspect of what a bench should be capable of to be of all round use.
Otherwise a set of sawhorses with a piece of plywood resting on top will suffice just fine.