PDA

View Full Version : 260 Rem- 1.02 miles (1,792 Yards)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

yobuck
05-31-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys

A camera system would be nice and all but I'm shooting to a sidehill in this particular instance. Setting a camera in front of the target is a no go. And even if I see the hit on camera from the side I still need to determine where it hit for correcting for the next shot.

As yobuck said, I hunt. I shoot all summer long for farmers, (crop damage) whitetail deer. I'm a firm believer when it comes to hunting that you need to rely on what is available from your FFP. Cameras at the target are nice but not available in a hunting situation. I do record lots of LR shots through a spotting scope setup just for bragging rights.

Not to change the subject either but I feel the same way about wind meters. I have a kestrel 3500. The temp, Baro and humidity are what I use for LR. The wind meter is ok for learning but useless past the FFP as well

If you were to come visit me at our camp on the day before buck season, within a couple hours
I will introduce you to 50 or more serious experienced long range hunters at other camps within
a mile of ours. Id be willing to bet you wont find a single wind meter user in the bunch.
Most will be using a chart which has been validated, and where an average for temp and other factors
were entered as necessary to produce it. Wind wont be a consideration and will be judged on location.
They will be of every age group from young to old and a few very old. Some, especially the younger ones
might be using iPhone programs, but they will be in the minority. One thing you will find with everyone you
talk to is that they (all) use the spotter method with the spotter sitting behind large binoculars on a tripod.
The spotter runs the show, not the shooter. You just cant have people out there slinging lead at animals
simply because they can shoot well. There are times when conditions are such that even the best shooters
cant perform well. And at that point somebody has to pull the plug. If not it could become another one of those
untold stories. There are for sure some who go it alone using a sporter type gun and shooting across hollows and such.
We refer to them as semi long rangers and some are very successful doing that. But there are untold stories from that group also.
We watched a guy on another ridge drop a buck and he never knew he killed it. After he left we went over and got it.
What if we hadn't been there and saw that?

handirifle
07-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Well I have to say I am not surprised, the end of the barrel is half way there already :rofl: Just kidding. That's some nice shooting.

daniel87
07-29-2016, 06:14 PM
iv read great thing from the .260 and the 6.5 cm

great shooting

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hafejd30
07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Thank you both.