PDA

View Full Version : Anyone removed the awful sights from a Hog Hunter??

OldHoosier
05-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Looking at buying one in .223 and just wondering how hard it is to get them off as they appear to be epoxied on. They look like crap and are tall enough that they would hang up on everything in the woods.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OldHoosier

jpdown
05-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Easy to remove with a small screw driver/allen wrench. Use a couple of plug screws 6-48 to fill and keep clean.

OldHoosier
05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
LOL...That's what I get for believing the clown behind the counter. When I asked if they were removable he proceeded to tell me about them being epoxied INSTEAD of being screwed on. I thought it odd because I've removed many in the past....oh well, live and learn.

And thank you jpdown.

kkeene
05-26-2016, 08:41 PM
I removed mine for scope clearance.

The filler plugs from the scope mount holes can be used to fill the sight holes.

Keith

Savage114
05-30-2016, 02:58 PM
I would get it in .243 or larger if I planned to hunt hogs with it. Twice the energy, hardly more recoil than a .223, better bullet selection, and you don't have to limit yourself to headshots for a humane kill. Yes, people kill wild pigs with 223s but that round is really for light skinned less tough creatures like coyote, varmints and humans. It will not tumble a pig like any of the larger rounds. But if you like to watch them runaround wounded and squeal, then a 223 will work fine.

Savage114
05-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I see it's only in 223 and 308. That's a big difference in a number of ways. T

OldHoosier
05-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I would get it in .243 or larger if I planned to hunt hogs with it. Twice the energy, hardly more recoil than a .223, better bullet selection, and you don't have to limit yourself to headshots for a humane kill. Yes, people kill wild pigs with 223s but that round is really for light skinned less tough creatures like coyote, varmints and humans. It will not tumble a pig like any of the larger rounds. But if you like to watch them runaround wounded and squeal, then a 223 will work fine.

I've hunted hogs a long time, and my preferred weapon is a .44 caliber wheelgun with a 4 to 5 inch barrel...haven't lost one yet. The HH is just going to be a short "truck gun" primarily for coyotes and other farm annoyances. And you are completely correct in your statements, .223 is too light for hogs.