PDA

View Full Version : Alternate stock options for 114 American Classic?

Savage114
05-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I have a 114 with the Monte Carlo walnut stock. It looks really nice, but I think my accuracy with it is suffering because of the unnatural grip the stock affords my trigger hand. It could be a tackdriving dragon.

This is a 7RM so I've found that I really have to grip it harder than a 243 or 270 to control it. For a while I didn't realize it was my shooting technique, not the gun that was causing poor groups. Therefore I also couldn't develop handloads well because my feedback loop was broken. Then I started focusing on a strong consistent grip. Now I've developed loads that have proven it can shoot under.5 MOA fine (can't rid myself completely of vertical stringing or they'd be .2 MOA), but I really have to try hard to keep my hold consistent and the stock doesn't help with that. There's no swell, and no bias towards on side like on some rifles, and the neck there is fairly thin. The angle of the neck is also very shall I say horizontal...in line with the bore. So when I grip it, the whole of my hand is not in contact with the stock. Because I have to bend my wrist so far forward, and the neck of the stock is skinny there, there's a gap under my palm, and really I can only grip well with my middle and 4th finger; my pinky is not doing much. This doesn't help trigger positioning. (On the other hand, my Brownings fit like a glove and I have none of these problems.)

I'm wondering about what good options there are on stocks that would give me more of a pistol grip while maintaining a hunting weight. I like to shoot at the range but it's also a hunting gun or else I'd have a heavy barrel, a break, and everything else I could do to mitigate recoil. McMillan? B&C? I don't have permission to attach images or else I'd show it at the range.

wbm
05-24-2016, 08:06 PM
I like the B&C stocks personally. Less expensive than some others but solid and well made. If and when you change the 114 American Walnut stock I would be interested in buying it. Been looking for one.

jpdown
05-24-2016, 10:16 PM
My suggestion is first try installing a small, grind-to-fit 1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. It will be the closest fit to a Savage American Classic/hardwood stock. Install, tape the wood and use a dremel tool with sanding wheel and sanding block to sand down pad to final fit. You most likely have also developed a flinch due to recoil from a magnum caliber. I've owned a number of Savage hunting rifles with the American Classic walnut and Light Weight Hunter walnut stocks. The rifles are light weight. Recoil and muzzle jump make them hard to shoot without a consistent technique. I've found you've got to control the forearm and muzzle jump to get consistent small groups off the bags. I grip the front bag and rifle forearm in the V of my thumb and first finger and keep the forearm steady throughout the shot. I relax every other touch point (trigger hand, cheek, shoulder).

This is a picture of Pachmayr Decelerator pad on a Savage 14 American Classic stock. I also installed a ebony wood grip cap.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0078_zps18a292e3.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0078_zps18a292e3.jpg.html)

The Stockade Hunter or Mule Deer are excellent light weight hunting stocks that control recoil very well. The narrow, flat bottom forearm also rides the bags well for load development and range work. It is my favorite carry hunting stock. The B&C Classic would be my next consideration.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0030_zpswkdggwy4.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0030_zpswkdggwy4.jpg.html)

Robinhood
05-24-2016, 11:24 PM
The Stockade Hunter or Mule Deer are excellent light weight hunting stocks that control recoil very well. The narrow, flat bottom forearm also rides the bags well for load development and range work. It is my favorite carry hunting stock.

Yep yep. Or a McMillan Game scout