PDA

View Full Version : Desert Trip II (Picture Heavy)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

scooterf79
05-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Nice shooting LW!
I agree with you about if you want to do it you just have to do it! I drove 4hrs to the savageshooters shoot last month, had a blast. That was the first time I'd ever shot 1k. Last weekend I drove 2+ hrs down to my in-laws and shot. There's a lot of effort to doing it but I love it!
Scooter

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks Scooter! By the end of next week I should have the 1k milk jug challenge video fully edited and in HD. I received a rough cut yesterday, but it isn't quite ready for posting.

So, the question is, how many shots do you think it took to hit a milk jug at 1k?

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Here's a sneak peek from the video.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/aa805de4dd46cb4f9608f8544d8f5c03.jpg

scooterf79
05-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Good, can't wait to see it! I connected on a milk jug at 977 last weekend. I think it took my 5 or 6 tries, but the wind was ridiculous.....and I've not shot LR enough to be good at wind calls.
Scooter
You're using a 243 win if I remember right?. I was shooting a 6br last weekend, but I'm anxious to try my 6x55 swede at some distance and see how it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Ya, 115DTACs over 3000fps is the way to go! I called the wind at 10mph and dialed 1.8mils of wind. At 1500yds I needed 5Mils of wind. It was gusty though and once I fell into Transonic speeds between 1275-1300yds it became a lot more difficult to play in the gusty winds.

I do feel I could have done the 1200yds challenge pretty easily as well as my rifle has been shooting extremely consistent since spinning the new barrel on.

scooterf79
05-28-2016, 11:20 AM
I've not tried those bullets yet. I was thinking about it my 6x55. I would guesstimate around 3200ish maybe. I need to really look into those! 😉
I can't exactly tell your terrain from your pics ,but where I was shooting hilltop to hilltop it seemed to me, that the valleys and such make the wind crazy. Again I've only done this kinda distance twice so. It would be almost calm where I was shooting from and gusty like crazy at my target.
Scooter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hafejd30
05-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Thanks Scooter! By the end of next week I should have the 1k milk jug challenge video fully edited and in HD. I received a rough cut yesterday, but it isn't quite ready for posting.

So, the question is, how many shots do you think it took to hit a milk jug at 1k?

I'll guess 2 lol based on your first post

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 11:56 AM
I'll guess 2 lol based on your first post
Haha good call. My wind call was off by 1/10. Forgot about that!

yobuck
05-28-2016, 02:01 PM
In North Carolina it is hard to find enough open legal land big enough to shoot 500 yards on much less 1000. Most property that isnt farms is cultivated pine forest.
There is a range that goes to 1000 but unless you live in the Raleigh it is a drive to get too. You used to be able to shoot in the Croatan National Forest but slobs and unsafe shooters have brought an end to that. Down here around MCAS Cherry Point the longest range is 500 yards.

Fact is N C has an awfull lot of very good places where long range shooting can be done.
Fact also is there must be the desire and initative to pursue it or it wont happen.
Hawks Ridge rifle club in Ferguson N C is a very active 1000 yd club for example.
Id be willing to bet many shooters living in that state aren't aware it even exists.

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a young buck, but neither Ferguson nor Hawk Ridge Rifle Club come up in google maps. Are you sure you have the right town yobuck?

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 02:08 PM
never mind. I found the website and location once I had the full address. There's still 2 ranges with that type of distance that are half the drive time away from where I'll be at.

yobuck
05-28-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm glad you located it. I was afraid I was gonna have to actually come and take you there lol.
You guys are obviously very good shooters. But your lacking badly in a very important area.
That being the optics your spotter is using. The shooter will do as well as the spotter can direct him.
And he isn't directing you as well as he might. But you already know that.

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 04:03 PM
I spot my own shots shooting the 6mm. Even at 100yds I can normally see my impacts unless the shooting position is very unforgiving. You'll verify exactly what your referencing when I get the video posted. However, likely I said earlier, I mostly shoot these distances to make normal shots within 800yds feel much easier!

yobuck
05-28-2016, 04:35 PM
I spot my own shots shooting the 6mm. Even at 100yds I can normally see my impacts unless the shooting position is very unforgiving. You'll verify exactly what your referencing when I get the video posted. However, likely I said earlier, I mostly shoot these distances to make normal shots within 800yds feel much easier!

Well allow me to back up a bit and say conditions at your shooting location will affect what I said, and also your ability to see hits as you can.
You wont be seeing any dust fly on the impact in the east for the most part. You will see the actual impact or see nothing.
At places like Hawks Ridge, Ridgeway, Williamsport etc, you might see some dust when hitting the berms behind the targets with dry conditions.
But normaly you wont be seeing dust so be prepared for that difference. Also the air quality as for moisture content is much higher.
So your looking thru a fishbowl so to speak and that has an affect also. I think you might find a spotter being a necessity more often than you did in the west.

LoneWolf
05-28-2016, 04:40 PM
That's true and some specifics we don't always think about with different shooting locations.

LoneWolf
06-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Here is the final video. I think it turned out pretty well. Wish we would have gotten the set up and everything before I took that first shot, but we would have ran out of camera memory on the phone looking through the spotter.

https://youtu.be/CDos9MBsjPc

scooterf79
06-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Just watched your video LW.. nice shooting and congrats!
When I shot a couple weeks ago, I had 2 hits on milk jugs at 977 with my 6br and 105gr amax. One jug blew up and the other was just a bullet pass thru like yours. To be honest I was a little suprised at the blow up on the first one. I'm not carrying much energy that far out.
If you shoot milk jugs often what kinda performance do you usually get that far out?
Scooter

LoneWolf
06-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Performance as far as energy transfer?

scooterf79
06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Yes sir

LoneWolf
06-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Considering I recovered a jacket that had fully opened at 1500fps I would think if it was a little bit thicker it would have had a better effect.