PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New Member - VERY new to precision shooting scene, could use the help!

Bishop
07-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi all,
I've been wanting to get into precision shooting for a while but I wasn't having a good time shooting my Ruger 10/22. Sold it and bought a MkII BTV w/ the factory scope the next day, and got to shoot it the first time on the 4th of July. Cleaned and oiled the gun the night before as well as tightened the scope bases down while adding blue loctite to one screw on each base, and had a great time shooting, producing very impressive (to me) groups since it was the first time out with the gun, and I was just getting into the more precise aspect of shooting (long time bird hunter).

I've since changed scopes to something I had kicking around, and am VERY unimpressed and annoyed, so now I have some decisions to make. I'm looking to make the gun as accurate as possible, so the only real variable is myself. I'd like to shoot knowing the gun is accurate, and I just need more practice.

I'm already looking at picking up a Mueller 8.5-25x44AO scope, but after doing some research and asking a few people, I can't simply mount the Mueller using the factory hardware that attached the Bushnell to the gun. I think I've narrowed my options to adding a new, higher 1-piece mount and using high rings, or just finding a set of extra high rings. If I have more options, please, do tell.

Also, I have no idea how mildots work, but I'm working on reading up on that. What else can be done to the gun itself to optimize performance? I've heard of bedding the barrel or bedding the action, but have no idea what either means or does. A lot of people suggest adjusting the Accutrigger as well as removing and reinstalling the action and torquing it down properly (though I don't have something that will measure in inch lbs.).

I'm sorry if this information is abundant, and I'm still spending a lot of time reading, but I'm VERY new to this whole scene and looking to learn, learn, learn!

Any and all help is appreciated!

drybean
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
i would use a egw base ,burris rings ,& a vortex crossfire

82boy
07-17-2010, 11:13 PM
i would use a egw base ,burris rings ,& a vortex crossfire

1+
About the best combo out there.

viper9696
07-17-2010, 11:19 PM
2+ do it right the first time and don't look back, you will be happy

pa hog
07-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Get out while you can!!! ;D

These guys are right on track, their pointing you in a direction that will keep you from chasing your tail. Only thing I'd be sure of is to get the Burris Signature Zee rings when you buy other than that, the Vortex Crossfire and EGW base are the way to go.

viper9696
07-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Only thing I'd be sure of is to get the Burris Signature Zee rings when you buy other than that, the Vortex Crossfire and EGW base are the way to go.

I always forget they (burris) make other rings :o in my mind it's only signature zee rings :-[

Bishop
07-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the response guys. Does anyone have any links / info to back up their offerings? I'm not big on just going with what people tell me to do without reading... The Mueller gets good reviews, but I'm open to ideas, especially info and links....

Anyone have a comment on what can be done to the gun, and what bedding is? etc.

Bishop
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Bump for some more info on suggested items as well as bedding and what not.

TOP PREDATOR
07-25-2010, 04:51 PM
i prefer the rimfire technologies base as it provides more MOA than the EGW and has a port cutout to make cleaning / shell extraction easier. the bases are sloped to cant the scope forward which will compensate for the extreme drop of the .22 lr at longer distances.

mildots are used primarily for ranging targets, but can be used for holdovers, just be aware of your magnification of the scope when using as holdovers it has to be on the same magnification or you'll be off. as many of the lower priced scopes are second focal planed, the holdovers and ranging distances will change when the magnification is changed. first focal planes do not have this.

this'll help you out http://www.mil-dot.com/ or http://www.chuckhawks.com/mil-dot_scopes.htm

ammo is a main concern, start with wolf as it's a very good performer through most rimfires.
a good trigger that is light and safe is a huge advantage for accuraccy / consistancy, i like rifle basix triggers in my savages
do searches and some reading on breathing techniques, eye alignment / cheekweld, trigger squeeze, follow through.

free float the barrel.

do a search on parallax, get an adjustable objective or side focus scope. i like a higher magnification scope at least a 4-16x, up to a 8-32 or 36x scope. allows me to "spot" my hits without having to break my shooting form having to move to look through a spotting scope.

practice. not just practice makes perfect, but perfect practice makes perfect. make every shot count, think about every shot, what you did right and what you did wrong.

a data book. make notes on the distance, how many "clicks" you must adjust for each, the temperature, humidity, etc.
the next time you have the same conditions, refer to the data book for proper adjustments.

wind guage. caldwell makes an affordable one for under $40.00, use it, make a table to put in your data book for different MPH winds. i like to make a note every 3mph, at every 25 yards. the wind can move your impact several inches to several feet depending on the distance and MPH.

i also like to use a rifle level, as a cant left or right will mess up your point of impact (POI) several inches depending on distance.

if you are soing uphill / downhill shooting, a cosine or angle indicator is very helpful as the POI can change several inches up or down depending on distance, angle, and the FPS (foot per second) of your ammo.

the use of a steady front rest is critical, along with the use of rear support or bag to be consistant.

there is probably a hundred more things, but those mentioned above will put you on the proper track, and if excersized properly and frequently should lead you to success.

BrettSass844
07-25-2010, 08:11 PM
If you are interested in precision shooting some of the articles from Demigod llc could help you A LOT! Google it, you will be happy you read them

Bishop
07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll get to reading. I was looking at the Rimfire Tech base originally before everyone mentioned EGW... And the Demigod suggestion... Awesome! He's based in Ft. Collins, CO... Hour north of me.

BrettSass844
07-25-2010, 09:44 PM
That's great. Read those articles on all topics. Rifle selection, optics and more. Some of the info will apply to long range precision but many of the topics are great for rimfire also! That's what rimfire trainers are for. My suggestion is hold off on optics before you do a lot more research! The vortex is a great option and in my opinion is the best choice under 300, but a lot is yet to be learned. Like what focal plane you want and need. Fixed or variable power. If variable how much is needed... And so on. Here are some optic suggestions from least to most expensive. These are all good for the price.
Vortex crossfire
Bushnell 3200 elite 10x fixed power
SS 10x fixed
SS 16x fixed
Nikon buckmasters
Vortex viper models
Nikon monarchs
The list goes on and on. Depends on your budget. Again I am sure I missed a couple in there just trying to lay out some quality affordable options.

JCalhoun
07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Bishop;

You've been given a lot of good so far. Take it all in and understand it.

Top Predator is right, it's a major concern. Rimfire ammo can very accurate when it's consistent and will be unforgiving when it's not. You will have find what your rifle likes and realise that ammo quality will vary by lot to lot in each brand. Generally speaking the match/target ammo will be somewhat more accurate than the plinking and hunting ammo. Also, don't over clean the bore. Rimfires tend to shoot better when the barrel is fouled some. Most folks who are really serious about rimfire accuracy clean their barrel when they notice accuracy has fallen off.

The other thing you have to be aware of is a good shooting technique is key to shooting those little bug holes we all dream off. Lots of good rifles and scopes get blamed when the real problem is the shooter.

revbc
08-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Bishop,

I have a vortex crossfire on order; however, I do own a Mueller 8.5-25x44AO scope. I can tell you from experience the Mueller is an excellent scope. They have a rep for great glass at their price point, great service if you have a problem. I think the crossfire is going to be a good scope especially for the price SWFA has them at, but have read recently about loose turrets and such. We will see........

Bobby

Bishop
08-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks Calhoun, am learning / reading still.

Rev, will you post a comparison here when the Crossfire arrives? I still haven't ordered anything since my "fun" money got tied up in a bigger project. Soon though... Gives me more time to read.