PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket barrel accuracy over factory

Pages : 1 [2]

Ryfulman
06-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Well said. All my Savages have stock barrels. One punches holes in the 3,s and the other 2 consistent 5,s.

it's been a while since I've shot any groups with my 243. Been mostly milk jugs way down yonder.
But this weekend I figured I'd see how it was printing and decide whether it was cleaning time yet.
Half once group from center to center at 200 meters. Off bags of course.
Dont need to clean anything yet.
Good load development is as important as the rifle. The only thing I did differently with this batch of brass was I seated the projectiles 5 thou off the lands. So just the slightest jump.
It's amazing that we can take a chunk of metal,insert more metal inside with an explosive and with slight changes in variable we can have a load that looks like a birdshot spray pattern or with a bit of adjustment to seating depth these chunks of metal can put bullets into te same hole and start stacking em from behind.
I enjoy reloading almost as much as emptying them.
Today with factory ammo most quality gun builders guarantee moa. It doesn't sound like much but when you consider what it takes for a rifle to print moa,consistently that's really saying something.
Anyways I'll end my novel here.

RC20
06-15-2016, 04:03 PM
I thought I was the only one that thought like that! Of course once you get into that 1 MOA thing you are spoiled and want more.

Truly stunning for all the aspects of fit, finish, bullets, powder, primer, brass, barrel (lots of factors there) and you still get that accuracy and that does not count the shooter (who now turns out to be the limiting factor)

teebirdhyzer
07-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Man, lots of good advice here. I say if you enjoy reloading and shooting for small groups go ahead and buy you an aftermarket barrel of your choice. It will most likely shoot better, will certainly be easier to clean and de-copper, and they aren't really that expensive in the grand scheme of things. If it doesn't shoot much better than your factory barrel, just sell it and either go back to factory or start over with another one. They are easy to sell and they make new ones every day! ;)

RC20
07-31-2016, 04:12 PM
I added the second barrel to my setup and had the long action sitting there doing nothing while I waited for Shilen.

I got an XC Bull 308 that match e the 12FV.

I am still in load development, its about even with what I was getting out of the Savage barrel. Still some sleuthing to do as the 12FV with the varmint was put in the stock.

Per Damon555, my take is that I am not good enough to shoot as good as the gun(s) can shoot. No regrets on the 2nd barrel, it will go back and forth, I got to use the tools and prove to myself my setup works. I have enjoyed it, good to have a cross check, get a barrel if you want to play with it and have more fun, its not a panacea for the real good shooting skills. I though I was not bad, I need to keep working!

So even a good barrel (or gun/scope/stock) is only as good as the shooter, even if its capable of doing better.