PDA

View Full Version : bullet choice/ Nosler?

Texas Solo
05-18-2016, 06:01 PM
I've been shooting Berger 80gr VLD's for a few years. Always a good performer for me at 600yds. 28" Shilen SM 1/7
However, with my .223 Wylde chamber, I have very little bullet in the case when loading to .005" off the lands (which is where it shoots best)
I researched and decided to try the Berger 82gr Match. It has a Tangent ogive which reaches the lands sooner. This achieved my goal of more bullet in the case, but the longer bearing surface required me to load down to only 2600fps @ max of Varget. (80 VLD's are at 3020) From my 100yd zero, that was 17 MOA come up @ 600. NO GOOD! Bullets were lobbing to the target with no consistency, lousy groups and a lot more wind drift. (I got a whole box if anyone needs them)

VLD's are hard to get now. I'm researching alternate bullets. Hornady says their 80gr has a Tangent ogive, so it would be the same as the 82 Berger.

"It is very likely that we had ran this to a higher velocity. However we run this in a 50 fps. intravels. This means we may have been able to get close to the 2650 but not all the way so we had to back this down to the 2600 fps. You may be able to work this up higher in your rifle, but this bullet very well could have more bearing surface than you current bullet you are loading. This would have a Tangent ogive."

I can't get a reply from Nosler about their 80 Custom Comp bullet. I like the price of them and they're available. But I don't care to the waste $$$ on another bullet that won't fly.
If anyone has some Nosler 80gr CC's, I could really use a bullet base to ogive measurement, and maybe an OAL on the bullet itself.

So this is where I'm at. Almost out of the 80 VLD's and need to find something ASAP. Any thoughts would be helpful.

LongRange
05-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Have you tried or talked to the guys a Sierra? I shot a lot of noslers in 6.5 and the accuracy just wasn't there and the bullets even within the same lots very so much I gave up on them

Hotolds442
05-18-2016, 08:18 PM
The lot of 80 grain CC's I had showed a variance of .004" bto. I worked up a bunch of loads in the 22/6.8 and never did find any accuracy. I never tried sorting them, it was easier to sell them and move on.

bc83
05-18-2016, 09:55 PM
I have the same barrel but 1/8 mine loves the 75gr amax they are like a vld I can get them to the lands might be worth getting the 80s a try.

Texas Solo
05-18-2016, 10:00 PM
I did try Sierra 80gr when I first started with this barrel 3 years ago. The Bergers shot better so I just hung with them. I still have a box of Sierra's, so I just measured them.
I got a variance of .008" within the 20 I checked. Weight was consistent. And, their as expensive as Bergers!

If I can stay at a variance of .004" with the Nosler's, I'd live with it. The real problem is that I can't find any info on them. Tangent or Secant? As explained above, a Tangent ogive just won't do well for me...too slow. I'm really hoping someone has some and will supply me with the base to ogive and OAL specs.

Thanks for the replies.

Texas Solo
05-18-2016, 10:04 PM
I have the same barrel but 1/8 mine loves the 75gr amax they are like a vld I can get them to the lands might be worth getting the 80s a try.

Good info, thanks. Do you have the Wylde chamber? How fast are you able to push them?

bc83
05-18-2016, 10:22 PM
Yes got the wylder chamber don't know about speed don't have any war to measure.

LongRange
05-18-2016, 10:39 PM
I did try Sierra 80gr when I first started with this barrel 3 years ago. The Bergers shot better so I just hung with them. I still have a box of Sierra's, so I just measured them.
I got a variance of .008" within the 20 I checked. Weight was consistent. And, their as expensive as Bergers!

If I can stay at a variance of .004" with the Nosler's, I'd live with it. The real problem is that I can't find any info on them. Tangent or Secant? As explained above, a Tangent ogive just won't do well for me...too slow. I'm really hoping someone has some and will supply me with the base to ogive and OAL specs.

Thanks for the replies.

if your measuring base to ogive that is the reason your getting .008 variances...to get a true bearing surface measurement you should be using 2 comparators...and as far as I know nosler does not make a VLD(secant ogive)bullet.

and powder valley as well as a few other places have 80g Bergers in stock...powder valley $262.60 per 1000...$27 n change per 100.

i really doubt the noslers are going to preform the way you want as they have a long bearing surface.

Texas Solo
05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
if your measuring base to ogive that is the reason your getting .008 variances...to get a true bearing surface measurement you should be using 2 comparators...and as far as I know nosler does not make a VLD(secant ogive)bullet.

and powder valley as well as a few other places have 80g Bergers in stock...powder valley $262.60 per 1000...$27 n change per 100.

i really doubt the noslers are going to preform the way you want as they have a long bearing surface.

Thanks, that helps. I just checked Powder Valley, they show out of stock on all the Berger 80's.
I'm going to try the Hornady A Max. With an OAL of 2.600 (.005 off) I might get to the 3000fps mark I'm looking for.
The reply I quoted above must be wrong. The tech said it has a Tangent ogive and longer bearing surface, but their advertising says the opposite.
Reviews are good and some of the guys I compete with swear by them.