PDA

View Full Version : shipping barrels---PVC?

devildogandboy
05-18-2016, 02:04 PM
i have some barrels that will be going out soon and i'm tired of making my own triangular tubes out of cardboard stock(takes too long). my question is has anybody used PVC or the black ABS pipe? any negatives using it, i want to make sure barrels arrive safely and undamaged.

thanks.

Bruce

ETA: barrels would be wrapped well before placing in the tubes.

LoneWolf
05-18-2016, 02:06 PM
I would use the thin cardboard tubes and wrapping the barrel in shipping paper to keep them from getting scratched up. I usually keep my boxes from new barrel and save them to ship out other barrels when I sell them or switch them out.

devildogandboy
05-18-2016, 02:28 PM
I would use the thin cardboard tubes and wrapping the barrel in shipping paper to keep them from getting scratched up. I usually keep my boxes from new barrel and save them to ship out other barrels when I sell them or switch them out.

used up all the boxes i had and needed to resort to making my own, to time consuming.

Bruce

drybean
05-18-2016, 04:41 PM
USPS has triangle priority boxes
or you can buy shipping tubes

Roach68
05-18-2016, 09:05 PM
^^ This, the triangle tubes are the way to go. Order them on the usps website and they'll send them to you free of charge. A 10 pack is the smallest you can get

Robinhood
05-19-2016, 02:03 AM
I like the PVC but it adds to the cost off shipping surprisingly. Even if you tape the ends in place of using caps.

devildogandboy
05-19-2016, 09:35 AM
thanks for the replies guys, i ordered a package of the small and medium triangle tubes from USPS. i just wasn't sure if they would be as strong as my homemade tubes but i''m trying to make life easier on myself.

Bruce

J.Baker
05-27-2016, 09:25 AM
Anything round is a bad idea - it will roll off the shelves in the delivery trucks which is what typically causes the damage to barrels during shipping.

LoneWolf
05-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Anything round is a bad idea - it will roll off the shelves in the delivery trucks which is what typically causes the damage to barrels during shipping.
This is a good point I never thought of!

devildogandboy
05-28-2016, 07:32 PM
well, i guess i go back to making my own triagular tubes, they have always made their destinations without problems. i got some of the USPS tubes but just too darn big for barrels.

Bruce

Dennis
05-28-2016, 11:32 PM
Thick triangle tubes are about the best way to go. Round tubes like stated above tend to roll all over the place. PVC, believe it or not will sometime get to you in pieces. If it ends up under something on it's destination, it doesn't break cleanly, it cracks into pieces.

Buy the 4x4 sheets of stock cardboard and cut triangle or square tubes with it. You can get pretty good at it with practice. You can have them specially made, but they cost.

Many, even the big companies, still ship in round tubes, just make sure their thick enough.

Dennis

Tha Missing Link
05-29-2016, 04:55 PM
^^ This, the triangle tubes are the way to go. Order them on the usps website and they'll send them to you free of charge. A 10 pack is the smallest you can get

This.

My buddy odered a couple of packs and they sent like 6-7 packs!! PS, they make good zero targets. :cool:

devildogandboy
05-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Thick triangle tubes are about the best way to go. Round tubes like stated above tend to roll all over the place. PVC, believe it or not will sometime get to you in pieces. If it ends up under something on it's destination, it doesn't break cleanly, it cracks into pieces.

Buy the 4x4 sheets of stock cardboard and cut triangle or square tubes with it. You can get pretty good at it with practice. You can have them specially made, but they cost.

Many, even the big companies, still ship in round tubes, just make sure their thick enough.

Dennis

this is what i had been doing, i have a stack of the corrugated "slip sheets" and cut what i need off and form into triangle. you can also get these from the stores as they use them to cover the pallets and separate the loads, sometimes they will let you have some.

Bruce