PDA

View Full Version : hot heavy barrel?

ohihunter2014
05-18-2016, 10:05 AM
I have an axis 2 heavy barrel in 223rem and notice after 10 shots the barrel is really hot.

is this normal? My axis 1 sport barrel gets hot after 10 or so I figured the HB would be better.

ivob
05-18-2016, 11:01 AM
if your reloading perhaps your loads are running hot

FiveInADime
05-18-2016, 03:08 PM
I have an axis 2 heavy barrel in 223rem and notice after 10 shots the barrel is really hot.

is this normal? My axis 1 sport barrel gets hot after 10 or so I figured the HB would be better.
What exactly is hot? Like, you can't wrap your hands around it hot?

My 11 TPH .223 isn't too hot to touch after a string of 10 HOT loads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ryfulman
05-19-2016, 02:50 AM
Heavy barrel doesn't get any less hot than a lighter barrel,however it doesn't vibrate as much which improves consistency.
Heavy barrels still wear out just like thinner ones,the throats erode the same.
So to answer your question yes heavy barrels heat up,just like thin ones. The benefit of them is consistency of point of impact even when hot,however they too have limitations.
I shoot strings of 4 when plinking then allow the rifle to cool. I always take a few rifles with me so as one cools I'm using another.
Rule of thumb is too hot to hold. If the barrel is so hot you can't hold on to it it's too hot and should allow to cool if possible. But every barrel is different and one might handle the heat better than others and still remain consistent. Heat does affect point of impact so it is good to know how it prints when hot,as in which way the poi moves when heating up.
That's all I got bud. Happy shooting

Robinhood
05-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Have you ever cleaned the copper out of the barrel?

Russ77
06-17-2016, 05:24 AM
I have an axis .223 heavy barrel and the barrel does get hot. How hot and how fast depends on how rapid I shoot. I try to take my time between shots and leave the bolt open. When the barrel is to hot for me to keep my hand on it I take a break and let it cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk