PDA

View Full Version : powder measure

Pages : 1 [2] 3

HalfTrack
05-20-2016, 12:13 PM
You know, its amazing how much information there is to consider when doing something for fun. I love it but it can be maddening.
I'm a tinkerer and like the science of shooting and reloading, but sometimes I feel like there is so much input that my head is gonna explode.
Just my take on this addictive hobby. :)
HalfTrack

Robinhood
05-20-2016, 12:20 PM
You know, its amazing how much information there is to consider when doing something for fun. I love it but it can be maddening.
I'm a tinkerer and like the science of shooting and reloading, but sometimes I feel like there is so much input that my head is gonna explode.
Just my take on this addictive hobby. :)
HalfTrack
Yes sir, you can get off deep. As with any hobby, you just don't have a clue how deep you can get, and since there is money being spent there will always be someone trying to make a better moustrap.

WV1951
05-21-2016, 10:50 PM
I wish I had read this thread before I started one on the help me decide section. I was wondering why a powder measure and a scale came with the Lee Anniversary or Breech Lock Kit. I see now why. If I decide to reload and only do a box or two at a time(very casual shooter for now), I see no need for a powder measure and only need a scale. A bit slower, but I will have the time.

m12lrs
05-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Here is my powder charging system set up in my camper. Lee PPM two gempro 250 digital scales one to trickle on and one to verify weight a little dandy electronic trickier. I can charge cases faster and with much greater accuracy then with my rcbs chargemaster.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/rcoody1/Mobile%20Uploads/20151003_143157_zpsyuvkqwas.jpg (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/rcoody1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151003_143157_zpsyuvkqwas.jpg.html)

firecracker6
05-22-2016, 12:27 PM
I will concur with what m12lrs said about the lee powder measure and yobuck said about the scoops.

Regarding the lee powder measure I will add: I give mine a tap once in a while when using it. If I don't, it will occasionally throw a very light charge followed by a very heavy one when using large grained extruded powder. I don't have any trouble with most powders though. Also, very fine ball powder (like AA7) will leak out of the side. AA7 is a pistol powder, never tried a ball rifle powder in it. I have 2 lees and I highly recommend them; they're probably more consistent than the rcbs and hornady I own. If you buy one do what lee says to do with it.

regarding the scoops: a lot of people knock them but I suspect such people failed to follow the directions. I've been surprised at how accurate they actually are IF ONE FOLLOWS THE DIRECTIONS. you can even make a custom scoop by filing one down to the desired size. if you're on a really tight budget the scoops aren't a bad way to go.

Robinhood
05-22-2016, 12:53 PM
regarding the scoops: a lot of people knock them but I suspect such people failed to follow the directions. I've been surprised at how accurate they actually are IF ONE FOLLOWS THE DIRECTIONS. you can even make a custom scoop by filing one down to the desired size. if you're on a really tight budget the scoops aren't a bad way to go.

I have seen more than one good shooter use this method with old German and Swedish Mausers with great success.

yobuck
05-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Years ago Lee sold caliber specific loading kits for a very small amount of money.
Everything you needed including a scoop for that cartridge. The thing I really liked
about them was the hand priming tool which is still my favorite. Today if you can find one
on ebay, it alone sells for more than the whole kit cost.

m12lrs
05-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Years ago Lee sold caliber specific loading kits for a very small amount of money.
Everything you needed including a scoop for that cartridge. The thing I really liked
about them was the hand priming tool which is still my favorite. Today if you can find one
on ebay, it alone sells for more than the whole kit cost.

First reloading kit I ever used. I believe they still sell it.

Back then if you could hit a pie plate at 100yds with your deer rifle you were good to go.

Killed a lot of deer back then.

yobuck
05-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Here is my powder charging system set up in my camper. Lee PPM two gempro 250 digital scales one to trickle on and one to verify weight a little dandy electronic trickier. I can charge cases faster and with much greater accuracy then with my rcbs chargemaster.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/rcoody1/Mobile%20Uploads/20151003_143157_zpsyuvkqwas.jpg (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/rcoody1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151003_143157_zpsyuvkqwas.jpg.html)

Well with your space limitations, you could definatly benefit by using a simple scoop or a spoon and a trickler with a good old beam scale.
I would challenge you to try doing it for an hour. Put some powder in a small bowl or food storage container. Use a measuring spoon to dump and sift
the powder till the scale is close to tipping and then trickle. Time yourself and be amased.

m12lrs
05-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Well with your space limitations, you could definatly benefit by using a simple scoop or a spoon and a trickler with a good old beam scale.
I would challenge you to try doing it for an hour. Put some powder in a small bowl or food storage container. Use a measuring spoon to dump and sift
the powder till the scale is close to tipping and then trickle. Time yourself and be amased.

I can dump a charge out of that lee powder measure faster than you can scoop and dump

I have a ohas 10/10 beam scale that has been tuned by scott parker. That said I can trickle faster on the gempro 250 and it weighs to the 0.02 grains instead of +/- 0.10 grains.

and the little dandy electronic powder trickler is much faster and more accurate than any hand trickling. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/595054/dandy-products-omega-2-speed-electric-powder-trickler

this one has potential for someone like you

https://youtu.be/eF-jL2kJRUc

I have a rcbs chargemaster, this setup and a Harrell precision benchrest powder measure.

Only long range loads get weighed to the 0.02 grains

everything else is thrown charges from a powder measure. Find the middle of one of those wide accuracy nodes and use it. It takes practice to get the rhythm right with a powder measure. I have it down with my Harrell. It is a lot smoother than the lee and cuts those stick powders a lot easier. You can charge 100 cases in no time throwing charges. Then I just look at them all with a flashlight to make sure they are all charged pretty equally.

Just gave my chargemaster to my brother-in-law. He is just starting out and appreciates the push button ease of charging cases. I had not used it in a year. Glad someone will get some use out of it.

HalfTrack
05-22-2016, 06:48 PM
i'll be darned, Midway discontinued the Little Dandy Trickler.
I just looked for giggles and is discontinued.

m12lrs
05-22-2016, 07:49 PM
i'll be darned, Midway discontinued the Little Dandy Trickler.
I just looked for giggles and is discontinued.

Did you watch the video?

They still make it and it works great

Google some reviews. You will be surprised. Simple too!

243LPR
05-22-2016, 09:29 PM
I've been using an old Bonanza pm for years and it works pretty good. It just doesn't like the big extruded powders though,really struggles to cut them. Got a Hornady auto unit now too that I'm trying out,so far ,so good.

Ryfulman
05-23-2016, 05:11 AM
After hearing-reading how happy those with their Lee PM I had to give one try. It wasn't as perfect as I would have liked out of the box but with a few tweaks and technique it threw charges pretty darn consistently. Not bad for a collection of plastic parts! Then last September I bought a Lee Classic. (Midsouth $70 and change). Its everything the PM is and more, cast machined steel body, brass drum, easy to adjust and or return to a previous setting than the PM and with it's 7/8-14 threads it fits most all stands. My only small complaint I would prefer both were calibrated in grains vs VMD.

In fact after using the classic exclusively the rest of the last year I made a fellow a killer deal on two RCBS Uniflows( one NIB) and a Johnson's Quick-Measure w/extra tubes and the setting gauge. Today's price for the QM? $270 and change! I didn't need them anymore. The Classic did everything the others did only better. Initial testing once I got the technique down I threw 100-50 grain charges 25 each of H4831(non-SC), 4451, Varget and R22 with only an average of .2-.3 gr variation BTW, a baffle had no effect one way or another consistency wise.

I still use my 55s for ball -flaked powders but the Classic for everything else.

Bill

Not possible to have a volume measure throw weigh powder and be accurate for every powder because every powder has a different density.
I find the node on every rifle I load for. Just a good habit to be in to when developing a consistent load. I only weight the first few. Point of impact stays consistent and once you learn how and why a person questions why they haven't been doing it all along.
I shoot 1300 meters at our farm. We've got 1700 meters available. I shoot milk jugs out that far with my 7RM throwing powder with my lee stuff. Under 1000 I like my 243 though a 7mm-08 or 260 is going to be in my future.

yobuck
05-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Yes sir, you can get off deep. As with any hobby, you just don't have a clue how deep you can get, and since there is money being spent there will always be someone trying to make a better moustrap.

Actually there is a much larger need for mousetraps, and far fewer of them.
Of those, one design made by one company dominates the market.
Clearly we view how to put powder into a case as being far more important
than ridding our selves of mice.
Or are we just satisfied with a simple solution that works when it comes to mice?
Think how bad it could get if earthworms came in a variety of colors lol.

BillPa
05-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Not possible to have a volume measure throw weigh powder and be accurate for every powder because every powder has a different density.

I'm well aware of the difference between densities and weight.
When I initially tested the Classic I used what generally were some the worst powders I have for charge to charge by weight consistency. Naturally, due to VMD differences power to powder it was adjusted to throw the 50gr targets for each the same as I would have to do with any other measure.

When I said I would prefer the 'metering chamber' be calibrated in grains vs VMD for myself it would be somewhat easier set it in the ballpark by grain weight rather then looking up the VMD for a specific powder then multiplying the target charge weight by the powder's VMD.

Bill

mikgarus
05-30-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm well aware of the difference between densities and weight.
When I initially tested the Classic I used what generally were some the worst powders I have for charge to charge by weight consistency. Naturally, due to VMD differences power to powder it was adjusted to throw the 50gr targets for each the same as I would have to do with any other measure.

When I said I would prefer the 'metering chamber' be calibrated in grains vs VMD for myself it would be somewhat easier set it in the ballpark by grain weight rather then looking up the VMD for a specific powder then multiplying the target charge weight by the powder's VMD.

Bill
Does the Classic leak with ball powders? I've heard the PPM does.

BillPa
05-31-2016, 01:17 AM
Does the Classic leak with ball powders? I've heard the PPM does.

I can't say, I didn't try any. I was more interested how consistent it was or would be with extruded powders. With ball-flaked powder I still use one of my 55s.

Bill

bearcatrp
05-31-2016, 07:26 AM
The lee dispenser looks good. I gave up on my rcbs dispenser and bought the little trickler 2 years ago along with a gempro 250. Picked up a hornady auto dispenser that is not accurate but use it to get me close, then trickle the rest in. For less than 50 rounds to load, I have a plastic baby spoon that gets me around 40 gr of powder. So many different systems out there. Just go with what works for you.

yobuck
05-31-2016, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=BillPa;368022]I can't say, I didn't try any. I was more interested how consistent it was or would be with extruded powders. With ball-flaked powder I still use one of my 55s.

Have your 55s been reworked Bill?
Awhile back I was talking with Neil Jones about doing some rem triggers for me.
But I forgot to ask him about powder measures. I assume he still does them.
I like mine for dumping powder directly into the case. That's what I use when
I need production like on 223s and pistols.