PDA

View Full Version : Affordable long hardside riflecase

scpaul
05-17-2016, 08:21 PM
I've built a wildcat with a 31 1/2" barrel. When I put my muzzle brake on, it won't fit in my case, so I have to put the thread protector on each time I put it in the case and it still barely fits. I need a case that's a minimum of 53" (55" would be better) inside length, 13" wide and a min. of 5" thick (2 1/2 deep both top and bottom). I want a hardside case, probably plastic due to my budget. I haven't found one the size that I need unless it was metal and cost as much as my house payment, I'm wrong, the case was considerably more than the house.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, Thank Ya'll, Paul

rjtfroggy
05-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Go to the Plano web site, they have all different size cases, and are probably the most reasonable price wise.
I have a couple of the large Pelicans and your rifle length won't fit and they are expensive.

Mozella
05-18-2016, 07:12 AM
You're going to have trouble finding a gun case that long at all, much less find one at an affordable price. You might do a search on "keyboard case". You will find some hard cases long enough for your rifle, but I don't think any of them will be dirt cheap. However, you will at least be able to find something long enough.

scpaul
05-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Thank Ya'll for the responses, I've looked at Plano and didn't see any. I'll look again, I have been known to over look some things. The Idea about the Keyboard is a good one that I hadn't thought of.

I've thought of getting another case to match mine and try the plastic welding tool.

Has anyone had any experience with plastic welding? Any idea of a type of company would have that equipment. It seems that I've seen it advertised somewhere pretty cheap. I'll probably get what I"m paying for, junk.

Any other ideas or info will be greatly appreciated, Paul

tufrthnails
05-18-2016, 10:40 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190984/plano-protector-pro-max-double-scoped-rifle-case-53-3-4-x-19-x-5-5-8-polymer-black
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Case/dp/B000P583SQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1463625738&sr=1-2&keywords=long+rifle+hard+case

yobuck
05-19-2016, 08:38 AM
Have you considered building your own? We build our own cases all the time both for long barreled guns and the large optics we use.
A piece of 1x6 for the sides and 1/4"or 3/8" plywood for the top and bottom works for guns.
Make the frame from the 1x6 in the size youwant and install the plywood. Then run it thru a table saw to separate the lid from the bottom.
You can find foam rubber on line and it cuts easily with an electric knife.
Verticle gun boxes also work well with no foam being necessary. Just padded cradles to support the gun.
Ours take lots of abuse being shoved into pickup beds and jeeps with all kind of things piled on top of them and then bounced around on dirt roads
for several weeks.

scpaul
05-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Mr. Nails, thanks, I missed those somehow. I don't know if the center posts will give me enough room for the scope. I'll probably call them and ask for that measurement.

Mr.Buck, I'd thought about building it out of aluminum sheet that I've got, aluminum angle and piano hinge from Lowes. A good friend of mine can weld just about anything, but I hate to impose on him. The pieces of wood that cradles the rifle sound real good.

I'm looking at the Keyboard case suggestion by Mozilla and waiting for another response from Sara at a company that is apparently connected to SKB. They look good at this point, I'm just waiting on a price list.

Thanks again everyone, any other suggestions will also be appreciated, Paul

LoneWolf
05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
They aren't cheap, but they are worth it! I use a Case from Patriot Cases. Rifle has never lost zero through numerous trips bumps and slams. My rifle has about a 29" barrel including the break with the stock having 14.5" Length of pull. I also run a large 56mm scope and this case comes with custom cut hard foam that you can even provide dimension to the company and they will cut it specifically for your rifle.

TomP
12-02-2018, 05:46 PM
I searched there ‘53 inch gun case’ and a 54.33 inch one came up for $50 came up.