PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 feed problems

georgia boy
07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Heres the deal, brand new rifle straight out of the box never been fired, model 200 in 7mm 08. It will feed the first 3 rounds without a problem but on the last one the bullet hits the feed ramp then the bolt slides over the end of the shell hitting in about the middle. I know they are not expensive rifles but I thought they would at least cycle rounds. Any suggestions?

hailstone
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Probably need to take the action out of the stock and remove the blind magazine. Take the follower and spring assembly stretching the spring some. From you description it sounds like there's not enough push by the magazine spring for that last round. Other rounds have enough compression on the spring too keep them firmly in place for feeding.

geargrinder
07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
If it is a centerfeed, it will take some time for the feed lips to relax a bit. It will feed fine after that.

Some more pressure on the spring won't hurt either.

georgia boy
07-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will call Savage on Monday and see what they say. It mentions this problem in the owners manual and says to call customer service so it must be pretty common.

hailstone
07-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Be interesting to hear what the manufacturer recommends. Please keep us posted.

georgia boy
07-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Savage said I could send it to them or choose a local gun smith to look at it. I stretched the spring but ended up having to spread the feed lips to get it to cycle correctly. Seems to be working fine now, hope to get to the range this weekend.