PDA

View Full Version : New Hog Hunter .308 What optic?

strap624
05-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, I've never owned a bolt action or a scope. I jus purchased a Hog hunter in .308 as a base for a rifle build I've been looking at several scopes:

Primary arms 4-14x44 ACSS
Nikon p-308 4-12x40
redfield revolution 4-12x40
vortex diamondback 4-12x40 AO
vortex 3-12x56 AO hog hunter

Are any of these good choices? I'd like to stay under $300. I hear good things about the primary arms but that sucker is HEAVY.
As far as application I don't plan on shooting past 500 yards. Typically I'd like to shoot as best groups as possible at 300-400yds on paper.

I'm planing on getting a nice Boyds stock as well for this and setting it up as a prone, bench, target shooting rig/ range toy. I'm not a hunter.

Thanks for the input!

WV1951
05-17-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm kinda curious why the Hog Hunter if you are not going to carry afield. Only from truck to bench, etc. The 20" barrel should be plenty accurate, but I would think a 22-24-26 would even give you more speed and accuracy. The Primary Arms and the Diamondback certainly have good reviews.

strap624
05-17-2016, 07:04 PM
I kind of like that "scout" rifle look. I settled on the hog hunter because it has a wide array of aftermarket stocks and parts, it's a short heavy barrel that's threaded, has irons, and is reasonably priced compared to a ruger gunsite or a savage scout- in which case if I bought a more expensive rifle I would spend more money on a new stock anyway. I'm a lefty and I like the left hand thumbhole with right hand action stock that Boyds has.

bearcatrp
05-17-2016, 07:33 PM
The nikon is a good inexpensive scope. I have the M-308 w/nikoplex reticle on my Savage 10T 308. Nice clear glass. Mine is a bit more than the P-308 but glass should be similar. For your distance shooting, should be good to go with nikon.

Robinhood
05-17-2016, 09:28 PM
That rifle as is or with an upgraded stock or chassis can do some shooting. Why limit your options that will ultimately limit your rifle. Buy once cry once.

strap624
05-17-2016, 10:50 PM
That rifle as is or with an upgraded stock or chassis can do some shooting. Why limit your options that will ultimately limit your rifle. Buy once cry once.

What are you suggesting?

tufrthnails
05-18-2016, 12:29 AM
I have the top three on your list except the nikon is the p-223 and the PA is mil dot reticle. The nikon and redfield are very close in clarity and low light shooting. The PA is much better for clarity but has a bit different eye relief for me and being mil adjustment is a learning curve for me. I put the redfield on my son's .243, the nikon is on my AR, and the PA is on my .270. Of all of them I think the PA is the best bang for your buck. Depending on what wanting the optic for they all are viable options for me. I love Vortex, but the only one I have shot with is the Viper 6-24x50 PST which is awesome.

Edit I forgot about the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 which I rate below all the three you listed on top.

Bill C
05-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Look at the SWFA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Zen Archery
05-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Second the SWFA. You'll get true dial ups (MOA and MIL) if that is your application. They have a number of different crosshairs to choose.

Magnumdood
06-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Buy once cry once. Look at Nightforce NXS, Nightforce ATACR, Nightforce Beast. The SWFA Superchickens will hold their own regarding adjustments and return to zero. They can't best the Nightforce optically, but, realistically the Nightforce is a bit high for your stated budget. In between the Superchickens and The Nightforce is the Bushnell 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical DMR II. Will track with any Nightforce or Superchicken and falls almost directly between the Superchickens and Nightforce in price. You can find them if you are not in a huge hurry for around $1100.00 used.