PDA

View Full Version : A question to ALL A/M barrel sellers.

Shooter0302
05-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Is it that big of a hassle to you that you can't a few more details to your description of the Bbl's chamber ? Point in question, Most all of you offer Bbl's chambered in 6 BR Norma, or 6 BR Norma / Lapua. So, is your chamber cut for a "NO TURN" neck ?? , a skim turn, or a cases need to be turned to work in your chamber ??
Another point, you list 223, 308 & 30-06 MATCH chambers, Why not list what makes it a MATCH chamber ?? amount of leade / free bore,?? chamber neck OR complete chamber specs are under normal, IE TIGHT and require new brass to start with.
Spend a little time putting the info on your sites, OR spend a lot of time trying to un do the damages of selling someone that doesn't know a whole lot about chambers but knows his buddies are shooting 6 BR Norma'a and he wants one, and he buys a bbl. that requires neck turning. He he going to blame his buddies for not telling him about chambers OR he he going to blame you for selling him that Bbl. ???

LoneWolf
05-17-2016, 04:52 PM
I agree on this with a lot of websites. It would be nice to see reamer lists that link to reamer specs! Same for the barrels etc.

Robinhood
05-17-2016, 10:30 PM
I think Dennis tries to do it on the ones he has specs. But realistically, a prefit manufacturer/seller has no need to run custom chambers. I can see them offering that option but not something on the shelf. IMHO anything special would be, well a custom. I would expect to see an asterisk if there was a non SAAMI neck or throat dimension. Jim at Apache denotes match chamber when it applies.

Shooter0302
05-17-2016, 11:17 PM
I think Dennis tries to do it on the ones he has specs. But realistically, a prefit manufacturer/seller has no need to run custom chambers. I can see them offering that option but not something on the shelf. IMHO anything special would be, well a custom. I would expect to see an asterisk if there was a non SAAMI neck or throat dimension. Jim at Apache denotes match chamber when it applies.
Robinhood, you use Dennis & Jim for your example, Jim @ Apache has at least two MATCH chambers listed. again, what makes them MATCH ? the amount of free bore, neck chamber ID ?
AND their 6 BR Norma, XC & Dasher chamberings NO mention if any are no neck turn chamber with a .??? neck ID which should be listed, or "requires neck turning" .
So W/O any this info listed, a potential buyer wanting this info e mails Dennis , who eventually contacts Jim @ Apache asking him for said information. Then Dennis gets around to sending the info to the potential buyer. Time from question asked to answer received, (+ -} 5 days.
I'm beginning to think that the attitude I got from another prefit seller when I asked about a bull contour was " We don't stock them, most of our customers are hunters, they just want something different, AND THEY AREN'T THAT PICKY

Dennis
05-17-2016, 11:17 PM

You have to be careful when adding information to your website. I list whatever Apache offers, including his match reamers.

If an item has no special notation, then it's a SAAMI spec reamer which "does not" require any special neck turning. I guess adding in "No Turn Neck" wouldn't be that big of an issue. It would be impossible to have every reamer available. If a person wants to have his barrel special throated, he can make that request. It will be part of the main menu shortly. It's a process that's easily adding in while chambering the barrel.

A Match reamer is usually a PT&G SAAMI spec reamer that's a thousandths or so tighter vs. the regular reamer.

And Robinhood is correct, Any special chambering definitely would be a "Custom Reamer" or "Custom Build". With most wanting their barrel built to a certain specification, the only way to achieve this was to have the blanks on hand ready to chamber.

This is why Accurate Barrels changed their ordering process, PLUS we will keep most Pre-Fits in stock as well. Well that will happen as soon as the Custom's start leveling off a little if they ever will. With this statement, most can figure out why Apache and I teamed up. We can now give both worlds their wishes in a very timely manner. Our average turn around is 15 days. We will try to keep it low, but we will go with the customers demands if any way possible.

If anyone has any questions, DON'T hesitate to ask by email or phone. Phone hours are 10am to 6pm Central. (225) 276-8328

Thanks,

Dennis & Apache

PS: Website's are not free. Your charged by the amount of space/wording/pictures you put on your website. Plus, you have to format your Page so it's compatible with a Desk Top, A Laptop, and a mobile phone device, something that requires a happy medium. This is the main reason I had to reduce the size of the site and make it simpler so all can use it. If anyone is having trouble viewing the site, PLEASE send an email describing the problem

LoneWolf
05-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Good info Dennis and thank you!

Dennis
05-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Good info Dennis and thank you!

Thanks, our goal is to offer a "Quality" Product, made to the customers specifications, and done so in a very timely manner. It took a few months to set up. Waiting on blanks was the biggest challenge, plus were waiting on many more as we speak. We have an ETA of June 20th or somewhere in that area. We hope to have blanks in stock 100% of the time, but I am sure we will have times that won't let this happen. We are watching it very closely.

Apache and I share the same outlooks, in business and everything else. He is a great guy and very talented with his lathe. Also very knowledgeable with rifles in general, and definitely barrels.

We are planning on being here for the long haul, and things are looking great.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, you can email or PM me. We will be glad to help you anyway we can.

We listen to our customers. The ones who didn't know about our Fathers Day Sale, we understood and extended it because of the feedback we received. It's a great offer if your not aware of it.

Just click the link: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?51047-Apache-Custom-Barrels-Pre-Fathers-Day-Sale

Thanks, and have a great day,

Dennis & Apache

Ryfulman
05-19-2016, 03:00 AM
Interesting that you posted this since I've been looking to buy a barrel.
I've learned that unless otherwise marked a barrels chambering is SAMMI spec. If there is an asterisk or a special notation that means the neck is tight and brass will require neck turning to fit.
I learned this by reading the manufacturers website. I never had to email anyone,because the manufacturer had the information easy to find in their literature.
I'm not trying to be a dick here but your post sounds like you/someone ordered something without doing their homework and are pissed because what you ordered isn't what you wanted but I can't help but lean towards it was an error by the purchaser,not the manufacturer.
And if unsure ask a question before spending money m
manufacturers have some level of expectation that their buyer is familiar with what they want. If they aren't then it only makes sense to contact your local gunsmith or whomever is putting the rifle together.
Rifles aren't plug and play.
Jmo.

Maztech89
06-07-2016, 09:39 PM
I'm just going to add a little bit by saying if you are looking to order a CBI barrel from James at Northland you can email Criterion directly and ask for a reamer print for whatever chambering it is you are looking at. Be sure to mention its for a Northland Pre Fit. I've always got the print emailed to me within 48 hours of requesting it and it tells me all I could need to know.

Dennis
06-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Interesting that you posted this since I've been looking to buy a barrel.
I've learned that unless otherwise marked a barrels chambering is SAMMI spec. If there is an asterisk or a special notation that means the neck is tight and brass will require neck turning to fit.
I learned this by reading the manufacturers website. I never had to email anyone,because the manufacturer had the information easy to find in their literature.
I'm not trying to be a dick here but your post sounds like you/someone ordered something without doing their homework and are pissed because what you ordered isn't what you wanted but I can't help but lean towards it was an error by the purchaser,not the manufacturer.
And if unsure ask a question before spending money m
manufacturers have some level of expectation that their buyer is familiar with what they want. If they aren't then it only makes sense to contact your local gunsmith or whomever is putting the rifle together.
Rifles aren't plug and play.
Jmo.

All Pre-Fit barrels are made according to SAAMI spec's. If anything goes beyond these spec's, a notation is make next to the chambering. Reamer prints are readily available for those people wanting a barrel built.

It "never" hurts to ask questions if you have any doubt about anything. It's best to be sure vs. sorry you didn't ask.

Dennis