PDA

View Full Version : Choate tactical stock modification

redwood13
05-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Been shooting my model 10 for a while. I've decided I would be happier if the grip on my Choate tactical stock was slimmer to fit my hand more securely. Has anyone tried to file down the grip area to a reduced size? Is the grip area solid polymer, or hollow? I've shaped many walnut stocks from blanks, so I have the skill.

Iowa Fox
05-17-2016, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure about the tactical but I did modify a Varmint stock extensively for my specialty pistol . I took the cover off the pistol grip first thing to see to the best of my ability just how much is hollow and how much thickness I had to work with. I hack sawed the stock off and then started filing (half round) by hand slowly checking frequently. Its fairly thin but I gave it a HS Precision looking pistol grip look and feel (well best I could with the thickness of the material), just a little material here and there makes a big difference to the feel for your hand. My next step is to attach a aluminum plate to the plastic trap door of the grip. Actually its turned out pretty well considering good specialty pistol stocks for a Savage are pretty much non existent or so expensive you can't justify the cost.

Digduggy
05-17-2016, 07:50 AM
There is a plate on the bottom of the grip, its hollow. I am getting rid of my choate for that and a few other reasons.... shame cuz its a great stock, just way too big and bulky

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
05-17-2016, 10:17 AM
I've shaped many walnut stocks from blanks, so I have the skill.

I like confidence. Do you need a job?

Iowa Fox
05-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Does anyone beside me believe the stock makers are stuck in a time warp and not offering what most shooters want. Well I sure do.