PDA

View Full Version : safety to lock bolt shut?

firecracker6
05-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Got an axis for my son to shoot. Thought it would be a decent rifle for him to learn on. The main thing I don't like about it is that the bolt isn't locked shut when the safety is engaged. Having the bolt come open while I'm hiking around is a bit of a bummer. Is there a way to change that?

Rosco
05-15-2016, 07:03 PM
What position is your bolt in when it does this, in battery? You can't remove the bolt while the safety is engaged, but you can uncock and pull it rearward to a point. Guess what I am trying to understand is if you bolt is locked in position how does "become unlocked and fall rearward".

Robinhood
05-15-2016, 08:37 PM
I have never had a bolt open on me. I would consider that I was carrying a weapon carelessly if it did. Are you used to an older Remington?

firecracker6
05-16-2016, 12:04 PM
It was slung across my back. Not sure why that would be careless. Yes the bolt was closed and in battery.

DocScott
05-16-2016, 01:12 PM
I have an Axis II. I just tried opening the bolt with the safety on. While the bolt handle will move up about an inch or so, it is not far enough for the action to open. Perhaps your safety needs adjustment? Or?

doodedge
05-23-2016, 09:51 PM
I have an Axis II. I just tried opening the bolt with the safety on. While the bolt handle will move up about an inch or so, it is not far enough for the action to open. Perhaps your safety needs adjustment? Or?

Huh...? I don't think these guns have any mechanism to prevent lifting the bolt with the safety on. Just blocks the sear from being released.

Anyways, you must be banging that gun around a good bit if you can have it shouldered and get a locked closed bolt to lift... they are notorious for heavy bolt lifts. Unless you randomly got a one in a million axis with a feather weight bolt lift I'd wonder how you were handling it while hiking to get it to open while shouldered O.o

DocScott
05-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Abject apologies for posting incorrect info. Doodedge is correct. I just tried my Axis II and an Axis HB that I have. Safety has NO effect on bolt lift on either. Both have a rather heavy bolt lift, however, so I guess that is what I was feeling before. The Axis II has noticeably heavier bolt lift than the Axis.