PDA

View Full Version : Savage Extraction issues

wce323078
05-15-2016, 12:51 AM
I have been browsing the forum (looking for information on Extraction issues) And it seems that it is quite common for various models to have issues. It seems as Savage doesn't actually say anything about these issues as I have written to them a number of times asked lots of questions and basically got no answers. Is this the norm? I will admit that It seems in The US. Savage has no problem having them returned and repaired. Different story in Canada. I have called Savage a couple of times (US.) as there is no contacts listed for Canada. And first thing the person on the phone says when I say Canada is oh I cannot deal with Canada. and drops the call. I finally sent email this time around and some nice lady gave me a number in Canada. why in Heck couldn't the previous people I spoke to do that. I guess this is turning into a Rant sorry. Just wondered if it is becoming more common for the extraction issues

hafejd30
05-15-2016, 01:09 AM
You didn't state your problem... If it's dropping the brass/round in the chamber or only sometimes kicking it out then the fix is usually easy.

Remove the extractor. Underneath is detent ball you need to replace. Install a 9/64" (.140") ball in its place. A bearing ball etc will work. Be careful as the ball has a small spring underneath it that will send it flying. I suggest removing with a flat screwdriver or something similar. Remove inside a plastic bag in case the ball springs free (very hard to find when it does) if you do this you will probably not need to contact savage. Good luck

GaCop
05-15-2016, 06:24 AM
Sadly, replacing the ball doesn't always cure the problem. I've replaced the detent ball on all my Savages but still get dropped cases depending on the brand of brass.

BillPa
05-15-2016, 08:55 AM
depending on the brand of brass.

I had one I barreled in 260 that would extract-eject Lapua, Fed brass 70-80% of the time, Win-Rem 0% of the time even after replacing the extractor and installing a .140 ball. I forget exactly but the rim diameters of the Lapua-Fed brass measured something in the .468"-.469" range, Win-Rem .466"-.467". This was about the same time Savage redesigned the ejectors. To make a long story short when I talked to Joe DeGrande about the same issue with one of the 14s I had bought my gransons he sent me three each of the new style ejectors, springs and retaining pin. That fixed both the 14 and the 260.

Another thing to look for, a sharp corner on the top leading edge of the both race in the ring. ( Thanks for the pic Fred!!!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/scratchpoint.jpg
It tends to grab and rip a case out of the ejector.

Bill

hafejd30
05-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Sadly, replacing the ball doesn't always cure the problem. I've replaced the detent ball on all my Savages but still get dropped cases depending on the brand of brass.

Agreed, I've replaced the detent ball on all my savages. 2 had problems that went away with that fix. It's definitely the cheapest and easiest place to start tho. When I build a gun I replace that automatically now. Cost $.40 for 100 of them from fastenel

wce323078
05-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Sorry Should have been a bit more explicit. will not extract the case. have to beat on bolt. but the strange thing is not all the time. shoot one won't extract shoot 2,3, extraction normal 4 won't extract. This is factory and/or reloads has me pulling my hair out.

hafejd30
05-15-2016, 11:25 AM
K lol nothing to do with what I said. Proly a burr in the chamber or something on that note

pitsnipe
05-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Agreed, I've replaced the detent ball on all my savages. 2 had problems that went away with that fix. It's definitely the cheapest and easiest place to start tho. When I build a gun I replace that automatically now. Cost $.40 for 100 of them from fastenel

It sounds like a primary extraction issue. Think their is a video of this in the FAQ's section. Elsewise, Youtube.

Good luck,

Snipe

Hotolds442
05-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Definitely sounds like a primary extraction issue.
An Axis action with an early Glades Armory bolt handle ( back when Glades swore we were all full of equestrian excrement and that a 110 bolt handle would work perfectly on an Axis) exhibits the exact same problem during extraction.

Robinhood
05-19-2016, 02:08 AM
Definitely sounds like a primary extraction issue.
...back when Glades swore we were all full of equestrian excrement and that a 110 bolt handle would work perfectly on an Axis) exhibits the exact same problem during extraction.

Those where humorous times. A FNG would post Glades says it will work. Then a month later FNG post asking why he can't get extraction. Old timers were rolling their eyes.