PDA

View Full Version : savage axis to 30-40 Krag or 303 brit.

brstevens
05-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Has anyone rebarreled a axis to 30-40 krag or 303 British? How did it work out? What Magazine would work?

DrThunder88
05-15-2016, 01:43 AM
I've not, nor have I heard of it being done, however there are a few tripping points I can foresee.

The bolt head might be the biggest challenge. The Krag and Brit both have rims with bigger diameters than even the standard magna. The difference is only about 0.01", but even if it works as a very tight fit, the bolt head shank will have to be modified to work with the Axis firing pin.

Magazines could also be a problem since the rims may catch on the feed lips of the factory magazine.

pisgah
05-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Just about anything in gunsmithing is possible with enough $$$, but as noted above modifying the bolt face and mag to handle rimmed cartridges would present multiple difficulties.

gumbo333
05-16-2016, 10:53 AM
The axis was designed as an entry level rifle, low $. It has proven to be capable of exceptional accuracy. The trigger and stock are a bit less than great but for just a couple $ can be fixed to acceptable levels. Lots of that info on this site and it works. Get a .308 and shoot managed recoil ammo, it is very similar to 30/40 or 303. Or reload 308 to almost any reduced level you want down to almost 22 hornet levels. There is a whole lifetime of really good 308 load data. No extra $$$ spent on the 308, put your money in a better scope. Just my old thoughts.

Fat Albert
06-16-2016, 01:27 PM
The 303 Brit rim is the same size as the H&H belted rim. Conversion would be problem in a Axis as no belted cases used(7 Mag-300Win). Cheapest way to go would be to find an old Stevens 200 or Savage with belted case and change barrel. The fallower might need to be change to 30-06 or 270win (same length as belted case) because of the 303 is a thinner case than the belted one. People ask "Why do it?" --------Because

sharpshooter
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM
To gain what?????

Texas10
06-16-2016, 10:15 PM
I have to agree with SS, to gain what?

You can buy a Krag in good shooting condition for less than an Axis. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

You can also buy factory ammo that shoots very well, and buy dies to reload.

I have an 1898 model that was mtg'd in 1898 so it qualifies as a Non-firearm, similar to a back powder gun. It shoots quite well with aftermarket peep sights, and was sporterized buy a fairly good 'smith sometime in the 20's or 30's (as far as I can tell) with ivory inlays, hand checkering, stock additions etc.

And you can get your original Krag re-barreled if you want to compete in Civilian Marksmanship meets, in case the one you might eventually find is worn out.

Original/unused bolts still wrapped in cosmoline are available cheap on the internet, as well as other parts like stocks, sights, hand guards, etc. It's an antique gun hobbiest's dream build cause there are so many that were customized over the past 100 years, some POS, some extraordinary. Almost all are cheap to buy, unless you find a genuine carbine. Those are like finding hens teeth, and most you find are forgeries claiming to be original carbines.

I guess what I'm getting to in a roundabout way is if you want to shoot a 30-40, buy a genuine Krag and have at it.