PDA

View Full Version : Barrels?

montana bob
05-12-2016, 09:09 PM
I picked up a an old flat back the other day and want to build a good accurate rifle , just to hunt with. I've used a couple of the group buy barrels from ER Shaw and they shot very good for an inexpensive barrel and I bought a Criterion barrel and won't comment on my happiness with it. All you guys have a lot more experience than I do with building Savages, so what would you recommend for a very good barrel? I want to build a 257 Roberts. Don't ask me why, I just have the fever for that caliber. I've read a lot of good things about Sin Arms work. Thoughts on who does good work on their barrels?

darkker
05-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Honestly....?
A "good" barrel(said expensive), typically makes a poor shooter/reloader look good. If you are a good marksman/reloader, then there are very few barrels that are "bad". I've taken-in several barrels that "just won't shoot", and found that was not the case. The previous owners liked to ask the internet what would work, rather than do their own load development. Both barrels shot stunningly well, once you found what they liked.

So, choose your campfire to sit by:
1 - Don't / Can't / Won't shoot much, to find what makes it happy.
2 - Love being outside, shooting is merely the cherry on top.

If Camp 1 is you, pick any of the old guard: Pac-Nor, Hart, Douglas, etc If Camp 2 is more your speed, then don't worry about the name. Buy another Shaw. An ER Shaw that had a tight spot, is what I shoot to a mile with.

Ryfulman
05-15-2016, 10:50 AM
I just started a thread with some killer info a few days ago. The title is about rifling. 5R vs 5c vs ratchet cut.
Check it out.

gbflyer
05-15-2016, 11:43 AM
I've got 3 X-Caliber barrels. Right there in Kalispell, MT. 6-8 weeks production and they answer the phone. They are just as good or better than the high - end button rifled brands at a great price.

Also had great success with another northwest company: Pac Nor. Very good customer service with production times as advertised. The .308 I have of theirs is the easiest cleaning barrel I've ever seen. A little more $$.

Robinhood
05-15-2016, 12:45 PM
X-caliber and Criterion both have a good reputation. Pac-Nor makes prefits and there are just a hand full of barrel makers that can claim to make better. I said claim. They cater largely to the hunting crowd but I have seen them win local competitions.