PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 fcp-? Extraction issues

wce323078
05-12-2016, 04:19 PM
I have a FCP- cannot remember what the last letter is and the box is in Fort McMurray so not getting that anytime soon. Anyway When I first got this rifle I had it long enough to maybe shoot a box and half and had extraction issues after 3 or four rounds it would not extract I was beating on the bolt handle. So it went out to the warranty place in Canada. So after a year I got it back and it was fine. or seemed to be. I only fired maybe 60 rounds out of it after that till this spring. I retired and started to do more shooting. So everything was good for maybe 100 rounds and then more extraction issues. only this time it is hit or miss. Example last time out after a big cleaning and using a .308 chamber brush, brake clean wipeout etc. In point of fact it turned out that it really didn't need cleaning. I had a box of fed.AE 150grain FMJ boat tail and a box of Nosler 165.grain accubond's and a bunch of reloads to do a ladder test. First up the fed.AE 1st round very hard extraction beating on bolt 2nd,3rd, extraction normal 5th,6th hard extraction but not beating on bolt 7th normal 8th, 9th tight but not hard 10th beating on bolt. Never tried the Noslers. Went to the reloads at starting load 1st hard extraction .5grain more normal .5grain more normal .5grains more hard extraction. this went on for 10 rounds all at .5grains increase from starting load. so I quit. In all of this no sign of high pressure at all and on the Magnetospeed readings where what you would expect for the loads. When I got home I took the rounds that I fired and tried them in rifle any that were hard to extract at range were hard to extract at home, I tried rotating the case a 1/4 turn at a time and same thing. I was in contact with Savage Canada and found out that all they did at the first return was reset headspace, So I have talked to a few people who know their stuff and so far most thing I have a chamber issue. Savage told me they want me to return it to have it checked on their dime. But now seem to have disappeared as they don't answer their emails.. Now has anyone had anything like this with any of their Savage rifles? or any of the FCP series? I would like to know and what was done to fix the problem. Not really wanting to send off for an other year or more Thanks.

BillPa
05-12-2016, 05:03 PM
I was beating on the bolt handle.

Beating on the bolt handle as in unlocking the bolt or pulling it back after it's rotation?

Bill

short round
05-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Sounds like primary extraction problem. Test by firing round, place shim between rear of receiver & rear baffle, if ejects you found problem. There are two easy fixes. First is to make shim to go between receiver & baffle 0.004" to 0.012 smaller than what the gap measures & epoxy into place. Second is to drill & tap baffle for two set screws, adjust for pri ext & loctite screws in place.

wce323078
05-12-2016, 08:23 PM
beating on bolt handle after it is rotated up.

BillPa
05-12-2016, 08:38 PM
beating on bolt handle after it is rotated up.

As short round said, you have a primary extraction problem not a ammo, headspace or chamber problem.

Bill

Robinhood
05-13-2016, 08:53 AM
The third option is try a different bolt handle and the forth option is mill the rear of the bolt body to move the bolt handle closer to the rear of the action and allow primary extraction ramps to function.

wce323078
05-13-2016, 11:14 PM
so I have my other Savage on my lap and I am looking at the back of the bolt opposite the bolt handle, When I lift the bolt you see something like a ramp and it is forcing the bolt body back a 1/16 or so is that what you mean by primary extraction? Cannot seem to add pictures.

wce323078
05-13-2016, 11:16 PM
If that is it the other Savage had tis as well and did move bolt body back but not sure what was happening when case was stuck as I never actually looked. I was mad or Pi__ed off.

Robinhood
05-14-2016, 01:39 AM
sometimes it is hard to tell if it is actually working. You will see it under load.

short round
05-14-2016, 02:12 AM
You are correct.

BillPa
05-14-2016, 08:00 AM
so I have my other Savage on my lap and I am looking at the back of the bolt opposite the bolt handle, When I lift the bolt you see something like a ramp and it is forcing the bolt body back a 1/16 or so is that what you mean by primary extraction? Cannot seem to add pictures.

Here is an example of insufficient PE ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA
I'll post the details later how I correct it.

Bill

wce323078
06-08-2016, 03:12 AM
Well to continue the story on my extraction issues. Savage Had me ship the rifle off to the Canadian warranty place in Ontario. Received it back in about a month (has to be a record or Savage pushing someone) There was a note in the gun case with rifle polished chamber, function tested passed, fired 20 rounds passed rifle operates with in spec. So I reinstalled my Near rail and scope. And I made a point of checking to make sure screws were not interfering with anything. Out to range and at first shot lifted bolt handle but no extraction, worked bolt a number of times and it finally extracted same thing for next 14 rounds. so I packed it in. At home I took one of the fired cases and tried it in rifle would not extract. I took out my feeler gauges and tried them on the ramp for primary extraction I had about .050 and gave up s nothing was happening. I went as far as trying the case in my other Savage in .308 and it would not chamber. tried bolt from good rifle in the troubled one same thing. made up a dummy road and tried that worked fine. So with all that I am thinking I have a chamber issue as all cases fired in this gun show same problem. Now waiting on word from Savage Canada on what they plan on doing now. in mean time wonder what the very knowledgeable people on here think?

Zero333
06-08-2016, 06:02 AM
My brother had this problem a few years ago when he first bought his 10 FCP-K 308w. I polished the chamber for him and it went away for the most part. It only happens with Lapua brass that's been reloaded more than twice. No problem ever with Winchester brass.

When it happens to him with the Lapua brass he has to lift the bolt a lil faster and harder till it makes a click at the top of it's stroke before he can continue extracting the case normally.

At one point he had a aftermarket bolt handle and I think that worked good with the Lapua brass but I stole it off him for my 300winmag target rifle and made him go back to using the original bolt handle that came with his FCP-K.

Next time at the range take your filler gauge and try the biggest one that will fit between the baffle and ramp. This way you will know how much to shim the baffle.