PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Model 1903 clip question

Savage7491
05-10-2016, 10:05 PM
I was able to do this quite easily on the clip that was original (I think) to the 1903 I acquired, but am wondering if that was normal or not. I was able to slide the bottom plate off the clip and completely disassemble / clean the entire clip assembly. I just bought another clip off e-bay that I knew wasn't correct specifically for the 1903......says Auto 22LR on it but basically looks identical (almost) to the 1903 clip. Cannot be disassembled by sliding off the bottom plate however.......bummed me out. It fits the 1903 just like the original clip. Am I to assume that I was lucky in being able to disassemble my original clip?

Thx in advance for any info / reply.

RA

Sav22
05-10-2016, 11:11 PM
For some reason Savage started to pin the bottoms on only the magazines for the 1912 semi-auto, the early magazines for these were not pinned, also they started to plate the followers in the magazines with pinned on bottoms. I have no good ideas about why they did all this, the plating was probably done to keep down corrosion because you could not longer disassemble the magazine to clean it and semi-autos, especially with some early ammo, could really make a mess of internal part. I have not found any differences in how the magazines function, the 1912 magazines seem to be fully interchangeable with the ones for the 1903. Here are some differences you will find in magazines for the 1912's, since this picture was taken I acquired another variation of the magazine that is pinned different -
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/GeneBB/Baker-1912%20x/1912s16-1.jpg