PDA

View Full Version : 300 lapua vs 7mm-300 win mag

dawg4life
05-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Trying to decide on a caliber for a new build.
A few things to consider
- I will want to shoot this caliber suppressed. I have a suppressor that is rated for 300 win mag. Would the 300 Lapua be too much pressure for my suppressor? (waiting for uncle Sam before I can take it home but it will be soon).
- This rifle will be used out to a mile or so target shooting and probably some long range hunting at various distances.
- I have a 338 Lapua but I want something I can use with my suppressor instead of buying another suppressor and waiting on paperwork again.
- I reload all my ammo so that is no issue.

Another question. Are long actions all the same? Does say a 30-06 and a 338 Lapua and a 300 wim mag use the same action? I know bolt faces are different and things like that but are the actions themselves the same? Thanks for all the help in advance!

scope eye
05-10-2016, 06:54 PM
The 338 Lapua based cases are totally different and not suited for your action, the 30-06 and 300 WM are the same, I would go with the 300 WM.

Dean

dawg4life
05-10-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm not really interested in the 300 win mag. I am interested in necking down 300WM to 7mm. 7mm-300wm or 7mm practical as I've seen it called. I want some good velocity and something to reach out to atleast 1 mile. What's the difference in the action for a 338 lapua? Either way I go I'll be necking down either 338 lapua brass to 30 caliber or I'll be neckin down 300WM brass to 7mm.

scope eye
05-10-2016, 08:05 PM
What I meant was go the 300 WM based case, and as far as the 338 based case with it's .587 Dia there is not enough "meat" in a standard action to handle the psi. It's not a savage design flaw, a standard Rem 700 can't handle 338 Lapua either.

Dean

dawg4life
05-10-2016, 08:17 PM
So my 110 FCP-HS 338 Lapua must be built on a special action? I have a 30-06 that I may use for a action and it will work with the 300WM case?

Does anyone have experience with the 7mm practical (7mm-300WM)?

hafejd30
05-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Yup the Lapua is a different action. Heat treated different from my understanding. It's also a large shank

scope eye
05-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Yes the 30-06 action will work with a simple bolt head change.

Look up 7 STW they are very close.

Dean

hafejd30
05-10-2016, 08:30 PM
I would also contact the maker of your suppressor before moving toward anything in that range. Your playing at the rated limits for pressure. They'll give you what cartridge you can use as well as minimum barrel length. You can also find most info online for cans as well but be sure it comes from the manufacturers mouth. Warranties go bye bye when you exceed their limits

yobuck
05-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Its much easier to say were going to shoot out to a mile than it is to actually do it.
Especially with any degree af accuracy. I should say consistant accuracy.
I have a 7x300 Wby which would be in the same tent with a 7stw as for performance.
Both would be slightly better than the 300 win mag case necked to 7mm.
I personaly wouldn't be wasting my time attempting to shoot it at a mile.
You have the better cartridge with the 338 Lapua. If your not happy with its performance
then go bigger, not smaller.
From the standpoint of hunting, the vast majority of animals are taken under 1000 yds.
Reasons being its easier to both find and hit them than it is at the extreme distances.

dawg4life
05-11-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm currently shooting at a mile so I know what goes into it. I want to make a slightly lower recoiling/cheaper to load. I love my lapua I'm just wanting something new to play with. Another question. If I bought a chassis system for a long action could I swap it between the lapua and a regular long action savage? Is there any difference between the size of the lapua action and a regular long action.

scpaul
05-16-2016, 10:55 PM
I looked at Nate Foster's (N.Z.) 7mm Practical real hard. For a person that hasn't messed with wildcats much, it's simple and if you have a good assortment of dies, you can reduce the neck to 7mm and that's it. Nate's got a site, "Terminal Ballistics Research". He's written some books that you might like to look at.

I wanted to complicate my life, spend a bunch more money, and take over 2 years to build it. I built a 7mm Valkyrie. I won't go into all of the loads that I've worked with in it. I've gone considerably farther/faster/etc. than the 7 STW, and that's from a guy in the upper part of the state.

If you are serious, look up 7mm Valkyrie on the net, there's a few articles on it. My email is in my info, email me if you decide you want to build a Valkyrie. At this point with some of my loads, I've shot a .220" 3 shot group. I'm not shooting 5 or 10 shot groups because it's probably going to be bad enough on throats anyway. The original designers of it changed the shoulder angle from 25* of the 300 WM to 37* for the Valkyrie. The case is blown out some and the case body is about 1 to 2 mm longer than the 30. The case holds 93+ gr. of water, depending on the brand of case.

Best to you, Paul

scpaul
05-16-2016, 10:57 PM
I looked at Nate Foster's (N.Z.) 7mm Practical real hard. For a person that hasn't messed with wildcats much, it's simple and if you have a good assortment of dies, you can reduce the neck to 7mm and that's it. Nate's got a site, "Terminal Ballistics Research". He's written some books that you might like to look at.

I wanted to complicate my life, spend a bunch more money, and take over 2 years to build it. I built a 7mm Valkyrie. I won't go into all of the loads that I've worked with in it. I've gone considerably farther/faster/etc. than the 7 STW, and that's from a guy in the upper part of the state.

If you are serious, look up 7mm Valkyrie on the net, there's a few articles on it. My email is in my info, email me if you decide you want to build a Valkyrie. At this point with some of my loads, I've shot a .220" 3 shot group. I'm not shooting 5 or 10 shot groups because it's probably going to be bad enough on throats anyway. The original designers of it changed the shoulder angle from 25* of the 300 WM to 37* for the Valkyrie. The case is blown out some and the case body is about 1 to 2 mm longer than the 300 WM. The case holds 93+ gr. of water, depending on the brand of case.

Best to you, Paul