PDA

View Full Version : Is truing the action necessary?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

m12lrs
05-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Long Rifles Inc usually has them in stock and can send you a barreled action in about 96hrs from order. Or just get the action and use a Small Shank Prefit.

The also have one for large shank

Kingair001
05-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Why wouldn't you go directly with American Rifle Company ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
05-16-2016, 07:37 PM
That was only the first 25. They're all small shank now.

LoneWolf
05-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Why wouldn't you go directly with American Rifle Company ?

You could, but LRI is ARC's largest distributor. If I get a second, I'll go through them and have it Cerakoted before it leaves their shop.

Kingair001
05-16-2016, 07:45 PM
You could, but LRI is ARC's largest distributor. If I get a second, I'll go through them and have it Cerakoted before it leaves their shop.
Aha . . . not a bad idea !

Robinhood
05-16-2016, 10:57 PM
If you want to shoot well on a stage like this you need an action that cycles reliably 100% of the time. If it continues to catch or have other issues you will lose time and not even have an opportunity to get most of your rounds off. It's not just Savage Actions that have issues, anything that is not fitted together correctly or tuned just right. However, I see lots of guys that shoot well get held up do to actions not being able to cycle reliably. Actions I saw have issues yesterday:

Savage
Factory R700
Sako
Shilen DGR (seriously just get a Savage)
and a few other random brands that I wasn't familiar with.

Actions I did not see fail:
Mausingfield
Surgeon
Defiance
GAP Tempest
Ruger RPR
Basically any of the customs.

This is a match ran from a clean covered firing line. Not even harsh conditions. I have to go with what I see on a monthly basis. When I knew it was my gear holding me back and I wanted to beat these guys knowing I was a better shooter I had to get better gear. If you just want to screw around in these competitions for some fun and hang out with a good group of guys then a Savage is a perfect intro rifle. However, I strongly believe you'll rarely if never see a Savage at the top of a serious Precision Bolt Rifle Competition that is ran with most stages being done in this manner unless perhaps it is a factory class.

This is what I observe on a monthly Basis. Go look at the standings of the recent NorCal match I shoot with James Jeffries, Soloman Manasala, Rich Chronister, and many other names on that list. I see this month in and month out.

Kingair....Now you see why I mentioned Ruger.

LoneWolf
05-16-2016, 10:59 PM

I just don't consider the RPR as an action to build off of. It's a platform that can be upgraded. It wants to be an AR so bad it hurts lol and I personally prefer my McMillan A5 set up. Played with the chassis long enough to decide that it wasn't for me.

Kingair001
05-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Not saying that the Ruger is a bad rifle either

I never say that anything is bad

But all rifles have their own maximum capabilities

Now everyone wants an RPR and the new model is just released . . . but as an out of the box rifle they have more problems than a Savage

Especially the 308 model regarding accuracy

Also a few people had problems with their bolt

Savage will have the Stealth as a competitor

I was even thinking to get one and start shooting it in PRS Production Division

There's even a Savage Ashbury planned with a blueprint action

Maybe that's the one to get instead of the RPR

Time will tell

LoneWolf
05-16-2016, 11:09 PM
I think you have the RPR all wrong there King. I watched the RPR cycle like a bolt gun should and shoot plenty accurately. Now get a replacement barrel from LRI and it's the same cost the these plane jane Savage actions dropped in a fancy Chassis. You still have a better more reliable action design and a very modular platform. I've watched them in action and they run very well out of the box.

Kingair001
05-16-2016, 11:13 PM
I think you have the RPR all wrong there King. I watched the RPR cycle like a bolt gun should and shoot plenty accurately. Now get a replacement barrel from LRI and it's the same cost the these plane jane Savage actions dropped in a fancy Chassis. You still have a better more reliable action design and a very modular platform. I've watched them in action and they run very well out of the box.
Don't get me wrong about my opinion on the RPR

But for PRS I am stuck with a RPR (not due to the rifle but due to the rules !)

Pretty sure if you upgrade the bolt and the barrel that this is a winner but you are not allowed to do that in the Production Division

Otherwise I had a solution !

I think the RPR is a real nice platform and as you can see companies are jumping on it regarding upgrades

Something what never happened with Savage rifles sadly enough . . . .

A buddy of mine had a RPR and installed a 6mm custom barrel and the rifle shot amazingly but . . . the big 'but' always . . . he sold the rifle and had a rifle build on a Surgeon action instead

Now he is a F-Class shooter so he was used to the smooth actions

He gave the RPR a try but wasn't completely satisfied . . . .

So you see we are all looking to find another solution but those who done it . . . return to . . .

LoneWolf
05-16-2016, 11:21 PM
This discussion has developed quite a bit and I know people are excited about the Stealth and Ashberry that are coming, but the truth is that it's still a plane old Savage Action and if Blue Printing it fixed all the problems I had than why didn't the Shilen action perform any better? It's cut true from the get go and runs a savage bolt just in a R700 footprint. Really the only benefit from it was that I could run R700 triggers.

The limitation of the Savage platform will always be the bolthead design. Until they correct it, it will be at the bottom of my list for Tactical/Precision Bolt Rifle formatted matches.

Kingair001
05-16-2016, 11:28 PM
Apparently Savage will use the 10 action in those rifles

I was reading that even being blueprinted they shoot 0.4 MOA out of the box

But what will Savage give us as a 'blueprinted' action - as LoneWolf mentioned in history post - the Shilen doesn't perform better . . .

If it just a notch higher in tolerances than a regular Savage action - we won't get the6rr again - because the Savage action needs more than that

You just can't offer a complete rifle for the price of a custom action and expect the same performance and accuracy

As you can see in my calculation I made earlier you need to invest some more money to get up to that level

But probably the new Savage models will be the best out of the box performers

LoneWolf
05-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Just so you know. The local matches I won I actually needed to rework my load, so at that time my rifle was only holding about .75MOA consistently. A lot of guys shoot better groups than I do regularly, but I spend more time shooting off of barricades and the stuff that is more challenging then shooting groups. Depending on the course of fire there are only a few times when a .25MOA gun will be advantages. I only look for .5moa when working up a load and if it's better I'm happy with that.

Kingair001
05-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Finally if everyone is happy . . . I am happy 😉

Robinhood
05-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Nope I got more.....Naw, Going to bed. Night all.

Kingair001
05-17-2016, 12:36 AM
[emoji6]

LoneWolf
05-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Here's another option that just hit.

https://lauraburgessmarketing.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/masterpiece-arms-introduces-the-mpa-ba-lite-pcr-competition-rifle/

Kingair001
05-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Here's another option that just hit.

https://lauraburgessmarketing.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/masterpiece-arms-introduces-the-mpa-ba-lite-pcr-competition-rifle/
Saw that a few weeks ago but is this action trued . . . ?

MPA uses the Model 12 Sportster action

LoneWolf
05-18-2016, 11:54 AM
If MPA built it then it will shoot! They do outstanding work and wouldn't let it out the door unless it was done right.

Kingair001
05-18-2016, 11:58 AM
If MPA built it then it will shoot! They do outstanding work and wouldn't let it out the door unless it was done right.
Pretty sure of that !