PDA

View Full Version : Is truing the action necessary?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Robinhood
05-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Good point yobuck, One thing to add to that is that a lot more people are knocking on that door. There was a time when just a few people had the time and or the resources to shoot great. Now it is commonplace. Look at some of the competitive F/TR class scores at mid and long range. They may not be breaking bench rest records but for a fella shooting from his belly there are some great scores. Last month the TSRA FTR 1000 yard championship they were shooting mid 190 matches, mid 960 aggregates with Crazy Wind. This was not just one guy and does not include some of the best in Texas that (guys like Eric Cortina) were shooting team.

In NBRSA Bill Johnston and Richard Jette have been breaking records lately. With several records falling in the last decade.

LoneWolf
05-12-2016, 11:52 PM
As guys keep pushing the envelope, records are getting harder and harder to break. Between the quality of machining that has increased of the last decade and the consistency of materials. Look at all the barrel manufacturer's that are making consistently accurate barrels these days. I've only been in the precision rifle seen since 2013 and a number of new manufacturers have popped up even in the time I've been reading up on the material.

Guys in the ELR game are starting to push that 4,000yds and beyond area. building totally custom equipment to do it with as well. Guys are pushing mid size cartrides out to a mile in competition regularly. On timed stages and connecting. Precision shooting is progressing faster than it ever has.

As far as truing the action I goes I don't feel it would increase the performance of a Savage action by very much. Maybe the bolt will track straighter and you may see better performance in that area. as far as accuracy goes it would be hard for an average shooter to tell. Put your money towards more shooting! Spending time putting rounds down range will be more beneficial to you than anything you can do to your rifle at this point in time.

m12lrs
05-13-2016, 07:04 AM
@m12lrs

I was just thinking to do the truing when changing the barrel

Actually I am thinking to start using it in Tactical Matches

It just needs a muzzle brake and modify my stock with an adjustable cheek rest
Other modification would be a BDM or use my Dark Eagle magazines

I just need to adjust my trigger back to 1.5 or 2.0 lbs so that the Accutrigger doesn't block when running the bolt fast and hard

The only big question mark I have is : how long will the Savage action last and how good will it survive this hard usage ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I would send it to Fred and have him time and true the action. The timing will probably do more for your action than the truing.

You will have to ask someone with more savage experience than I about how long the action would.last. I would expect you will be able to pass it along to the next generation.

I am a recent convert. I bought a couple of the target actions to build switchbarrels with. Love the do it yourself aspect of changing my own barrels.

yobuck
05-13-2016, 08:42 AM
More people are shooting better because of better equiptment, not because there are better shooters than years back.
And we have better equiptment because of better machinery to build with and not due to better people building it.
The classes setting records are classes that didn't exist until rather recently for the most part.
Mind you I'm glad to see it because it brings new life and excitement to the shooting sports. But lets compare apples to apples.
As for long range and especially extreme long range shooting, new records will appear when some good shooter with a
good gun becomes luckier than the last guy who held the record.
Go to Williamsport or any of the other places that hold matches and observe. On any given day you will see some very good
groups and scores. Usually shot by a small group of the same shooters. But you will also find good shooters shooting
large groups on any given day. Why do the good shooters hope to draw the first relay of the day rather than one in the afternoon?
I mean if their good, should it make any difference? lol

LoneWolf
05-13-2016, 08:57 AM
I agree with you on that assessment yobuck, and that's what I see at our local matches as well. It's usually the same group finishing towards the top of every match. This is mostly due to the fact that this group spends more time getting better at shooting though and because they care about getting better at shooting they care about having the gear that will aide them in accomplishing this goal.

So final observation, the best shooters usually have the best gear because they wanted to further improve from where they were at previously.

bearcatrp
05-13-2016, 05:37 PM
Why do the good shooters hope to draw the first relay of the day rather than one in the afternoon?
I mean if their good, should it make any difference? lol

Weather would be my guess. Winds aren't that high, cooler temps, humidity not as high.

Kingair001
05-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Weather would be my guess. Winds aren't that high, cooler temps, humidity not as high.
That's it

Kingair001
05-15-2016, 11:56 AM
So after checking several posts of different blogs and websites , calling about 15 people to get all possible info it is stil a big 'questionmark' for me to upgrade a Savage rile / action
9.9 out of 10 tell me - don't do it - just get a customs build rifle - you can get a GAP for 3500.00 was even a reply from one of the previous Savage custom build rifle
Also none of them still owned the rifle - all sold them in the meantime.
Yesterday I spoke to an owner who went pretty far - or let's say - 85 % of what you can do - to get the maximum out of the Savage.
He used a Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 - rifle was doing 0.5 MOA out of the box
After changing the stock to a Elite Tactical folding Manners ($ 1600.00) - with a mini chassis - he managed to get the rifle to 0.25 MOA
He also mentioned to check the Remington rounds - if my rifle likes them - since that made part of the improvement - together with the stock - to the 0.25 MOA result
You also need another barrel since the Savage stock barrel works fine until 800+ rounds and than it starts loosing it's precision
And it's pretty heavy - to heavy for Tactical Matches
Than there is still the truing and timing to do
There are a few people out there - capable of doing this job - and bringing up the action to a higher level in precision
Than we still need a Tactical bolt knob - a muzzle brake - better extractor - BDM - gunsmith fee, etc . . .
So making the calculation I guess we are at the price of a custom build rifle - maybe a few hundred bucks lower
And than the big problem later is Return On Investment

Who wants to pay me around $ 4000.00 for a Savage even if it is a custom build one ?

Damon555
05-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Only you can decide if it's worth it or not.....It may help with smoothness and possibly improve usability but I for one think it's unnecessary from an accuracy standpoint. From what I've read about the process there is nothing being done that gets the bullet down the barrel any better, which is ultimately where the accuracy lies. It's just another way to get into my pocketbook.

Kingair001
05-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Have you ever cycled a custom made action like a Defiance, Surgeon, BigHorn . . . than you know what they cost 3 times the price of a standard Remington 700 or Savage action
Until today there is no-one - that I know of at least - that is making a Savage action up to that level
But the Savage is way more accurate out of the box compared to a Rem 700 action - but none of both - is up to the level of the custom actions
Especially the Savage 12 Precision action - they shoot 0.5 MOA without any problem with factory ammo !

bearcatrp
05-15-2016, 01:08 PM
I can see if your competing to spend the bucks but if your just range shooting with your buddies for bragging rights, or just have money to burn, why do it?

m12lrs
05-15-2016, 01:16 PM
The mausingfield action. The ultimate savage switchbarrel action. Ain't cheap though

Kingair001
05-15-2016, 01:37 PM
I can see if your competing to spend the bucks but if your just range shooting with your buddies for bragging rights, or just have money to burn, why do it?
I shoot F-class @ 600 & 1000 yards with my Savage 12 and it works - right out of the box - competing again guys with 6 K + rifles
Best score yet 194-6X after 4 matches with factory Hornady Creedmoor 6.5 ELD-M 140 grain

But I want to start shooting Tactical Matches / Precision Rifle Series
What I found back - that there was only 1 shooter in the PRS matches - shooting a Savage 10T IIRC in 308
After running into some problems with the action he even quit using the Savage . . .

Kingair001
05-15-2016, 02:40 PM
The mausingfield action. The ultimate savage switchbarrel action. Ain't cheap though
Or the new Bighorn TL3 tactical action

bearcatrp
05-15-2016, 06:27 PM
I shoot F-class @ 600 & 1000 yards with my Savage 12 and it works - right out of the box - competing again guys with 6 K + rifles
Best score yet 194-6X after 4 matches with factory Hornady Creedmoor 6.5 ELD-M 140 grain

But I want to start shooting Tactical Matches / Precision Rifle Series
What I found back - that there was only 1 shooter in the PRS matches - shooting a Savage 10T IIRC in 308
After running into some problems withbthe action he even quit using the Savage . . .

Its great to hear someone with a rifle thats not nuts on cost beat the expensive rifles. Kudo's to you. Am hearing more complaints of savage actions binding enough to drop savage rifles, or getting them trued. I know if I tried to speed up loading it will jam up. Slow works. Will getting a savage rifle trued eliminate jamming or binding? Would suck spending the cash and it still does it. Am hoping savage gets off there ass and get the stealth rifles in the stores. Supposed to be trued actions. The ashberry is supposed to be to. Will be holding onto my cash to see if the ashberry will be worth the estimated $1700 bucks.

LoneWolf
05-15-2016, 08:09 PM
I highly doubt the stealth Will be any better. I shot a Shilen DGR, Savage bolt head in a Remington 700 footprint, Custom action all that. Bolt still bound up, still have weak ejection issues. I got rid of it just like my Savage actions. I've already answered all the questions in this thread through personal experience. Stop trying to slap lipstick on a pig and expect to get a supermodel.

It is what it is. If they worked for what you're trying to do, I'd still be shooting a Savage action....

Kingair001
05-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Stop trying to slap lipstick on a pig and expect to get a supermodel
I listened . . . and bought a custom action - the BigHorn TL3

Finally it costs the same amount of money building a custom rifle going with the Savage other a custom action - maybe you can save a few hundred using the Savage - but many tried already and gave up and sold their Savage custom rifle since the results weren't there in the long run

Besides that those 'believers' each lost a lot of money selling the rifle

So I am going the right direction after taking advice from people who tried !

Why should I be able to make it work ?

bearcatrp
05-15-2016, 09:40 PM
I highly doubt the stealth Will be any better. I shot a Shilen DGR, Savage bolt head in a Remington 700 footprint, Custom action all that. Bolt still bound up, still have weak ejection issues. I got rid of it just like my Savage actions. I've already answered all the questions in this thread through personal experience. Stop trying to slap lipstick on a pig and expect to get a supermodel.

It is what it is. If they worked for what you're trying to do, I'd still be shooting a Savage action....
So if savage actions are such crap, who has the best to build off or buy?

Kingair001
05-15-2016, 09:48 PM
So if savage actions are such crap, who has the best to build off or buy?
Nobody said they are crap - they are just not up to level - but neither are the stock Rem 700

Best actions out there are

Defiance
Surgeon
Mausingfield
BigHorn
Kelbly's
Stiller
Accuracy International
Badger
BAT
Gap Tempest
Hawk Hill
FNH
McMillan

And some more - one better than the other

Robinhood
05-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Nobody said they are crap - they are just not up to level - but neither are the stock Rem 700

Best actions out there are

Defiance
Surgeon
Mausingfield
BigHorn
Kelbly's
Stiller
Accuracy International
Badger
BAT
Gap Tempest
Hawk Hill