PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Marbles S2 /Savage 1903 questions

Savage7491
05-09-2016, 05:40 PM
I "acquired" a Marbles S2 tang sight w the intention of putting it on my Savage 1903. I realize now that I don't know a whole lot about the function of the Marbles sight. Hoping someone can chime in and enlighten me.

1. The pivot joint between the base and the sight is quite stiff......supposed to be that way?

2. Can you disassemble these for a thorough cleaning and check-out wo screwing them up?

3. There's a part between the base the pivot joint that can move around...looks like it almost has what looks like a gear tooth on one end. What is the purpose / function of this piece?

4. Both sides of the pivot have what appear to be discs(?) w flats on them and also have cam stops (?). I assume these are used to adjust the travel (amount of rotation) between the down and up positions?

5. Finally, anyone know of a good source for reasonably priced apertures?

Sorry for all the questions. Thx in advance for any info / help.

RA

Sav22
05-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Do not take Marble's tang sights apart, they have a heavy spring in them that is really hard to get wound & back in correctly, they really require having special tools. The sight dealers I know, who deal with these sights can't fix then themselves and send them sights to a person in the UP of Michigan or another in Alaska to get them put back together.

Marbles tang sights cannot be adjusted for 'travel' - they are supposed to be spring loaded so that they snap back into the correct angle for use if they are folded either way. They should move smooth and free, but should have a very strong spring pressure when trying to fold them either way.

The piece with what looks like 'a gear tooth' on the end is used to lock the sight folded down against the spring pressure trying to snap it back up.

I see a lot of these sights incorrectly assembled so they do not work correctly, or even just left in parts after someone has tried to take them apart or adjust them. I have returned some I bought that arrived not in working condition - one just recently.

A place called Aperture & More has newly made eyepieces for these for about $15 each. The thread on the ones for Marbles sights is a smaller size than Lyman of others.

Here is a short video of how a marbles sight is supposed to work -
http://vid200.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/GeneBB/7S%20Sights/Marbles%20S2%20video_zpsx0so2ubq.mp4

Savage7491
05-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Thx very much for the info / reply and the video. If I understand correctly the rotation travel should have been or was set at the factory? At any rate, the S2 I have does not have any spring action to it. Don't know how much it would cost to have someone R&R it..maybe I will see if I can return it. Thx again!

RA

Sav22
05-09-2016, 11:56 PM
You are correct that the rotation angle is a fixed factory setting. There is an internal sleeve that is machined to set the upright angle and that is not readily adjustable - I fixed one once but that involved welding it up and grinding it for a different angle, the part is very thin and hard to weld without melting parts of it away.

Savage7491
05-10-2016, 09:56 PM
Lucked out and the seller agreed to accept a return on the S2 Marbles sight.....yahoo. Hated the idea of having more $ into the sight than the gun LOL! Thx again for the info though. If there's a next time I'll know what to check / ask about.