PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP-SR PROBLEM

bl-u13
05-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Hello all :I purchased a new FCP Sr in .308 about 2 years ago. It is the older one in digital camo wit the ACIS bottom metal (serial #J144142). I'd heard so much about SAVAGE accuracy that I just had to have one. I have a Browning XBOLT heavy barrel in .270WSM which is a tack driver , but it is so expensive to load for. So I got me a 308 savage to enjoy some range time without going bankrupt . I've scrimped and saved to accessorize my savage and finally got it all together.
I took the scope ( PRIMARY ARMS 4-14X44) off the XBOLT and had it put it on my SAVAGE. It always worked great on my Browning,and I really like that scope.I thought the PRIMARY ARMS suited the .308 better anyway.I had the scope mounted and boresighted by a reputable gunsmith, also had a muzzle brake installed at the same time.
Now I'm all excited to finally get to shoot my new gun. Loaded up some NOSLER 168gr ballistic silvertps over 44grs Varget W/Federal 210 primers.I used some 130 and 140's at 25 and 50 yds. just to make sure I was on paper. Now new gun barrel burnishing procedure. Shoot clean shoot clean...
So now time to go to 100 . I'm trying my Nosler's now>>>>>>>>>>>>WAAAAAAY RIGHT??????? keep clicking. Can't get a group no how no way.I'm out of adjustment and still 8 inches PLUS to the right.
Took gun back to the smith for a checkup........everything seems OK.......I think I'll take it back and have him put a boreview through it.
I'm very disappointed and losing faith with SAVAGE?????Did I get a bad one....Am I doing something wrong???how good is SAVAGE quality control?
I've had a few new guns before but never anything like this.......................Any suggestions would be appreciated...... thanks bl-u13

Bill C
05-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Buy a better scope. The primary arms is a good budget scope so it is easily the first suspect.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FiveInADime
05-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Hello all :I purchased a new FCP Sr in .308 about 2 years ago. It is the older one in digital camo wit the ACIS bottom metal (serial #J144142). I'd heard so much about SAVAGE accuracy that I just had to have one. I have a Browning XBOLT heavy barrel in .270WSM which is a tack driver , but it is so expensive to load for. So I got me a 308 savage to enjoy some range time without going bankrupt . I've scrimped and saved to accessorize my savage and finally got it all together.
I took the scope ( PRIMARY ARMS 4-14X44) off the XBOLT and had it put it on my SAVAGE. It always worked great on my Browning,and I really like that scope.I thought the PRIMARY ARMS suited the .308 better anyway.I had the scope mounted and boresighted by a reputable gunsmith, also had a muzzle brake installed at the same time.
Now I'm all excited to finally get to shoot my new gun. Loaded up some NOSLER 168gr ballistic silvertps over 44grs Varget W/Federal 210 primers.I used some 130 and 140's at 25 and 50 yds. just to make sure I was on paper. Now new gun barrel burnishing procedure. Shoot clean shoot clean...
So now time to go to 100 . I'm trying my Nosler's now>>>>>>>>>>>>WAAAAAAY RIGHT??????? keep clicking. Can't get a group no how no way.I'm out of adjustment and still 8 inches PLUS to the right.
Took gun back to the smith for a checkup........everything seems OK.......I think I'll take it back and have him put a boreview through it.
I'm very disappointed and losing faith with SAVAGE?????Did I get a bad one....Am I doing something wrong???how good is SAVAGE quality control?
I've had a few new guns before but never anything like this.......................Any suggestions would be appreciated...... thanks bl-u13
Here's what I would do in your predicament:

You could have a misaligned barrel or you could have the scope base holes drilled off-center.

Find out if the gun is accurate enough to want to mess with. Find a consistent aiming point where you can fire a measurable group. Maybe use some factory match ammo so you can eliminate the hand-load variable.

If you can't get a group send it back to Savage. If you can, you could try a set of Standard-style scope bases/rings with a turn-in front ring and windage adjustable rear base/ring. Optically center your scope windage adjustment then move the scope on target using the rear base adjustment while looking down the bore at a target 100 yards away keeping it centered. I would use Burris Signature but that's just me cause I like the plastic shims.

My 11 Predator had a mild alignment problem but I was able to correct it with just one set of the +10/-10 Burris Signature shims, luckily, because I am using the Zee/Weaver style mounts. I didn't want to bother trying to get the alignment problem fixed because the gun is so accurate, as is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cica_trix
05-09-2016, 03:54 PM
I would go with FiveInADime's recommendation.

What I did with my savage 10 fcp sr that I picked up this year,without the ACIS bottom metal :(, is I got some good quality factory load, (168 gr SMK GM & 165 gr SST Hornady Super Performance) and get a baseline of how well my rifle is grouping. My rifle liked them both and gives me 1 moa or less when I do my part.

The one time my groups were flying around I got another box of 168 SMK GM and rechecked how my rifle shot, and it was not grouping as I expected. I took off the scope and found out that my base screw were loose. That fixed my problem. Anyway I also have a Primary ARMS Scope, and it works great for my needs, especially for the price.

Just of out curiosity , this is your first time taking out the rifle in 2 years since your purchased?

Good luck on the troubleshooting :)

bl-u13
05-18-2016, 01:06 AM
hello All : thank you for your thoughts .FiveInADime thank you for your helpful insight . Let us assume it could be a misaligned barrel OK...... Is that something that I can overcome or is that a warranty issue? I'm having the gun checked over by a competent smith. I've asked him to stik a boreview down the pipe. I will also take cica_trix s' suggestion and have him remove the scope and base, check the fastener alignment as well .
All the shooting I did was aimed at a consistent target (the bullseye on the target), shot at various yardage from a LEADSLED, in an effort to minimize the human element.
The gun never printed a consistent group of any sort in 45 shots fired at 25, 50 or 100 yards using 3 different loads , in an attempt to find something it might like. After having it set up and boresighted I was totally expecting to experience that "out of the box accuracy" which Savage is famous for . The gunsmith who mounted and bore sighted this gun will be going over it carefully.
I have not fired a factory round in any of the 8 rifles I own in the last 20 years. Accuracy and consistency has never been an issue. I have never had to fire 45 rounds out of any gun to get it to start printing or at the very least get an indication of what is going on. This gun has me stumped
The fact that I've had the gun two years and not done anything is , my 6year old daughter was diagnosed with type A.L.L leukemia shortly after I acquired it . So my spare time and disposable income has been limited, not to mention my priorities shifted .
This is not the first time I have encountered issues while shooting in , setting up, and lining up a gun, BUT I've never see one this BAD. Thank you guys for your time and patience . I'm anxiously waiting to hear the gunsmith's observations.....I shall post again when I know more.....bl-u13