PDA

View Full Version : Need help converting 204 to 6BR

jdw91
07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of converting my Model 11 204 to 6BR and could really use some help on a few things.

I've read and heard that all that needs to be done to convert the bolt to shoot the 6BR is to get the large (308, 22-250) bolt head. But I'm also seeing people have said that the baffle may not be the same size between the two, and perhaps even the firing pin is a different length! So I'm a bit confused (remember I've got a short action). Can I just get the large bolt head of midway, or do I need a new baffle, firing pin, ejector, etc etc etc as well? Are bolt heads sometimes sold with parts installed (ie SSS) because those parts are specific for the conversion or just because it's more convenient if they're pre-installed?

Also, what options are there for converting the staggered feed to feed the 6BR?

Thanks for the help,

Jake

Hany
07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Jake

Standard large rifle bolt head swaps right over and so do the parts. You might need the short bolt baffle (308) to allow for more bolt travel. Check your firing pin diameter where it goes into the bolt head. As far as feeding, with some minor work you can fit the center feed mag box to work with staggered feed action.......or better yet rock a single shot follower.

82boy
07-15-2010, 11:26 PM
All you need is a 308 bolt head, the firing pin length deals with placing a 223 short action bolt head onto a long action, which is not the case in your application. the parts are all the same Ejector, springs, extractor. I would use the 223 front baffle on a 6br, because it shortens the length of bolt travel. (This is what I do.) You will need to lengthen the ejector, or the BR case will not eject.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,15070.0.html

You will need to change out the magazine box. The BR cartridge is hard to get to feed right out of a stagard feed magazine. The best solution is to use the Acme detachable magazine.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,33550.0.html

jdw91
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Great, thanks for the help guys.

So basically the only thing i'll really need is the bolt head? (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=451988)

Would SSS's single shot loading ramp work for a short action staggered feed?

Thanks,

Jake

Nor Cal Mikie
07-16-2010, 11:17 PM
It'll end up just like my Model 16. Started life as a .204. "Finally" ended up as a 6BR. Bolt head with the ejector rod removed and a single shot follower and it was done. I single feed so I wasn't concerned with any feeding problems.

82boy
07-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Would SSS's single shot loading ramp work for a short action staggered feed?

With a bit of trimming, and grinding yes. You would remove the magazine box to fit it.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-17-2010, 09:03 AM
With a short single shot follower installed in the mag box you're ready to go.
The SSS single shot loading ramp is for the "center feed" mags. (Got one of those too) ;)

jdw91
07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Great,

Thanks for all the help guys-

One other thing though is that it is a blind magazine box (short action, staggered feed). Any suggestions on which specific single shot follower to get and how to install it?

Jake

82boy
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Great,

Thanks for all the help guys-

One other thing though is that it is a blind magazine box (short action, staggered feed). Any suggestions on which specific single shot follower to get and how to install it?

Jake

Score high.
If it is still a 223/204 box then you need the 223 follower, of it is a 308 box then you ned the medium.
Drop it in the magazine box, and put your follower spring on the bottom and put it back togeather.

jdw91
07-18-2010, 10:02 PM
This guy right:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=325484

So I have to take the action out to access the floor plate with the blind magazine box, right?

Jake

drybean
07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
yes you have to remove the action to install the follower
if you have a stagger feed it will not have a floor plate

jdw91
07-18-2010, 10:28 PM
If it has no floor plate how can you remove and replace the follower?

Jake

Nor Cal Mikie
07-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Pull the screws and lift the action out of the stock. On the blind mag the flat spring will stay (fall out) in the stock. Put the short single shot follower on top of the spring and put the action back in on top of the flat spring. Done deal. ;)