PDA

View Full Version : Budget 7mm Wildcat

christopherrus
05-08-2016, 08:31 PM
New to the forum but looking to pick a few brains about a wildcat idea. My current rifle is a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08. Shoots everything under 150's great but the twist is 1-11 sporter contour and only a 22" barrel. Here is the idea though.

There's a plethora of cheap 7mm Rem Mag takeoff barrels available. 24",magnum contour, 9.5 twist, and the same small shank as mine. So I take a 7 mag barrel, mill the chamber end off to the length of a 7mm-08. That should give me a cartridge that's the same length as my 7-08 with a sharper shoulder that I should be able to neck size with my same collet die. Slight larger case though that is less important to me.

Now for the problems. Brass. Option one is to use 6.5x.284 brass trimmed, then fireformed to the new chamber since it uses the same .473 boltface. Option 2 is maybe switch the bolthead to a WSM and use 7mm WSM brass by milling down a (also highly available) 7mm full length die.
Anyone see major problems with this?

I know there will be the obligatory "just buy a new barrel" and "why not just buy or shoot a .xxx" statements. Part is because I think I can and part is because I think it can be done for cheap. A new barrel is at least $200 -$250. This could put me out $50 if I can do most of it myself while having the added factor of having something unique. It just might be a pretty good little round.

drybean
05-08-2016, 08:44 PM
So you are wanting a 7/08 improved ?
Just buy a 284 bbl. an have fun

christopherrus
05-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Yeah, ideal might be a 1-9 26" varmint in 7-08 AI. But it will cost about $300 - $400 for that. This is on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyShackle
05-08-2016, 10:39 PM
I think you're covering your bases here, you mentioned that there is a slightly larger case size and that is definitely true. I think your best option for dealing with this would be fire forming brass, probably the easiest way.

But...... With the costs associated with getting a factory barrel worked over for your wildcat why not just go aftermarket? There are a plethora of manufactures that could whip up what you are wanting. Unless you are wanting the satisfaction of having done all the mods yourself. The biggest issue I can see is buying a take off and being disappointed with the bore. I have seen a few Savage barrels that looked like sewer pipe. Doesn't necessarily mean that it wont shoot decent, but it might foul quickly. Just a thought.

And finally why not a 7mm x 47 Lapua? http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/7x47-lapua-wildcat-cartridge/

Robinhood
05-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Do you have a lathe?

GrumpyGuns
05-09-2016, 08:28 PM
To second Drybean get a straight 284 with a 1:9 and have fun.

christopherrus
05-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Do you have a lathe?

Hoping for access to one. If not that will make it a lot tougher job... Obviously.

The main thing I was worried was what to make the brass from. I figure the round will be .508 diameter at the base. It would be great to drop a 7-08 round in and use that but I don't know that the base can take it. A .284 would only have to go from .500 to .508.

GrumpyGuns
05-09-2016, 08:37 PM
A straight 284Win would need no changing and you could launch the 162 Hornady at 2900 ish. If you cant find 284 brass get the 6.5x284 Lapua brass and neck it back up to 284. Or am I missing what your desired outcome is?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/#284win

Robinhood
05-09-2016, 09:16 PM
turn a factory 7WSM down to fit your action. Problem solved.

christopherrus
05-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Or am I missing what your desired outcome is?

No offense intended here but yeah you might be missing it. The .284 is a fine cartridge. So good in fact that second hand barrels are almost non existent. When they do come up they are expensive. Aftermarket barrels are several hundred dollars and at the current time are several months in the waiting.
Desired outcomes are:
1- faster twist, longer, heavier barrel than my current 7-08 (1-11, 22",sporter)
2- even a rough attempt at doing a lot of it myself. Just to see if I can. But also for price.
3- BUDGET 7mm wildcat. Now obviously this depends on your definition of "budget", but I am going for around $50-$75 if I can do it myself.
4- I like the idea of something unique but this is the LEAST important factor.

The dream would be about a 25" 7mm-08 Ackley in about an 8.5 to 8.75 twist. But shy of waiting several months and paying $400 or more I am seeing what I can do on the cheap as a challenge. After all, that's part of the fun right? Why else mess with something you can shoot 1/2 MOA with.

Robinhood
05-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Wildcats are not inexpensive. In almost every situation I can think of they cost more.

scope eye
05-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Wildcats are not inexpensive. In almost every situation I can think of they cost more.

Yes I can personally vouch for that, whether it is a 22 cal based or .500.

Dean

christopherrus
05-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Agreed. But I am going to go for it anyway. It may take a while but I will report back. For now the question is brass I figure the base will be about .508 .
Base of a 7-08 is .470 which I'm worried can't take the stress to go that far. A .284 is .500 so I am thinking that's the way to go. Anyone got ideas on forming the brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotolds442
05-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Hydraulics, if you're lucky. Even then I'd question whether your "new" brass would be safe enough to handle the pressure you're likely to push it to. Brass at that end of the cartridge is not soft and will crack rather than expand like it does at the mouth. It will also be off center when fireformed. I wouldn't want something that sloppy going off 4" from my face. What you're proposing is extremely dangerous. You're not going to clean up the chamber of a 7RM for your 7-08 improved without cutting the barrel at the chamber neck, either. You'd be better off starting with 6.5 Remington Mag brass and necking it up to 7mm. Or get some Nosler 350 Remington brass and neck it down. Kiff has reamers already spec'd out for either, and RCBS makes dies for it.

RustyShackle
05-10-2016, 10:55 PM
For fire forming Cream of Wheat, toilet paper, and wax. Look around online for a recipe in a similar cartridge. Don't over do it.

And maybe best to head the advice of Hotolds. This isn't something that you should probably 'experiment' with if you are asking about fire forming advice.

I hope everything goes well for you

GrumpyGuns
05-11-2016, 07:41 PM
No offense intended here but yeah you might be missing it. The .284 is a fine cartridge. So good in fact that second hand barrels are almost non existent. When they do come up they are expensive. Aftermarket barrels are several hundred dollars and at the current time are several months in the waiting.
Desired outcomes are:
1- faster twist, longer, heavier barrel than my current 7-08 (1-11, 22",sporter)
2- even a rough attempt at doing a lot of it myself. Just to see if I can. But also for price.
3- BUDGET 7mm wildcat. Now obviously this depends on your definition of "budget", but I am going for around $50-$75 if I can do it myself.

The dream would be about a 25" 7mm-08 Ackley in about an 8.5 to 8.75 twist. But shy of waiting several months and paying $400 or more I am seeing what I can do on the cheap as a challenge. After all, that's part of the fun right? Why else mess with something you can shoot 1/2 MOA with.

Not going to offend me :)

Well what you are wanting to do is beyond my knowledg base. Wish you the best with the project

GrumpyGuns
05-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Desired outcomes are:

Not going to offend me :)

Well what you are wanting to do is beyond my knowledg base. Wish you the best with the project

Robinhood
05-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Hydraulics, if you're lucky. Even then I'd question whether your "new" brass would be safe enough to handle the pressure you're likely to push it to. Brass at that end of the cartridge is not soft and will crack rather than expand like it does at the mouth. It will also be off center when fireformed. I wouldn't want something that sloppy going off 4" from my face. What you're proposing is extremely dangerous. You're not going to clean up the chamber of a 7RM for your 7-08 improved without cutting the barrel at the chamber neck, either. You'd be better off starting with 6.5 Remington Mag brass and necking it up to 7mm. Or get some Nosler 350 Remington brass and neck it down. Kiff has reamers already spec'd out for either, and RCBS makes dies for it.

Listen to this and you can climb Everest to prove a point.