PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Stock v. Plastic Factory -- Is it worth it?

cttb
05-08-2016, 12:39 PM
I've got a Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .308 with the factory plastic stock. It's one of the later ones with the detachable plastic bottom "metal."

I've been thinking for a while about replacing it with a Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole laminate stock, but I keep hesitating. I'm not worried about cost. The Boyd's is about a pound heavier than the factory stock. The rifle is purely a hunting rifle. In my opinion, this particular factory plastic stock is not bad. I am willing to pillar bed the Boyd's stock.

Do you all think the Boyd's stock will improve the rifle much? By improve, I mean improve accuracy, overall handling, and general pleasure of using it. I know that's mostly subjective stuff, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts, particular those of folks who changed from this factory plastic to Boyd's for a hunting rifle.

Are there stocks that I should look at that are considerably better than the Boyd's under $300?

Thanks for the feedback.

WV1951
05-08-2016, 09:32 PM
If your current set up gives you the accuracy you are needing for hunting, why not stay with it and spend your $$ on ammo, better glass, reloading supplies, or beer. If you want it for looks, then that is a different discussion.