PDA

View Full Version : Flat Back 110 in 243 stock issue

Ranger3
05-06-2016, 10:13 AM
I have a flat Back Savage 243 that I've worked over and now have a question on this gun. It shoots well but these guns were not free floated. So after a few shots, gets warm and I'm concerned it affects accuracy. Do these guns respond well to free floating, I don't want to start reworking the stock if it's a risk to the accuracy of the gun. Without any tuning of loads, this gun shoots various loads at anywhere from .5 to .7 moa. It was to be a build, but after shooting it, I can't tear it down.

wbm
05-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Free floating is usually a good idea. Walnut stock?

Ranger3
05-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Its the original wood stock. Don' t know if it's walnut or not

wbm
05-06-2016, 02:04 PM
If it is what Savage called "hardwood", it is probably birch but no matter if it is walnut or birch I would free float it. The real problem with the older Savage wood stocks (blind magazine stagger feed) is the how they bolt up....the front insert they used on the stock was not the metal pillar they use now so you have to be really careful not to over tighten the front bolt because the insert will compress. Sounds like it is shooting pretty good.

Ranger3
05-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I will look at free floating it, I have thought about pillar bedding but plan to shoot my current load some more to confirm the groups I'm getting. I got one group under .400 at 100 with 58 VMAX.