PDA

View Full Version : Porject accuracy Woes 110 in 300wm

micus
05-06-2016, 12:36 AM
Hello Gentlemen/ladies,

I recently just finished buttoning up a tinkering project rifle.

I purchased a used 110 in 300WM (less than one box through it ) off of an elderly gentleman, it is the old style action, square back. I went ahead and did the following modifications:

-Rifle Basix Sav 1 @ 2lbs
- Pillar and glass bedding of the action ( JB weld) used the 6mm br article as my guideline.
- floated tang
- Burris XTR bases
- Vortex tactical rings
- Vortex Viper 4-16 x 50 FFP

My intention with this rifle was to A) put something together that I could effectively take game out to distance with, and B) to have a fun entry level/beginners gunsmithing project. C) to see how cheap I could do it all for --ended up being about 1100 bucks as I bought the rifle and optic second hand but in excellent condition.

So I take it to the range today with a box of hornady superformance (180 gr sst @ 3100 fps) and it shoots... like dog crap!!

the best group I was able to get was about 3.5" with the norm being about 5"

I double checked the action screws and retorque to 20in lb - no difference.

I got home and noticed the bolt handle was really really loose, like jingling around loose. I disassembled the bolt and inspected, then re assembled it tight again to there is no more looseness.

besides the loose bolt everything else seemed fine,

anyone have any ideas where to start trying to figure this thing out?

thanks in advance,

Mike.

micus
05-06-2016, 12:48 AM
http://s465.photobucket.com/user/mjbarrie888/media/300%201_zpsttf21hch.jpg.htmlhttp://s465.photobucket.com/user/mjbarrie888/media/300%205_zpsrsboeacy.jpg.html?o=2http://s465.photobucket.com/user/mjbarrie888/media/300%206_zpskyvklovw.jpg.html?o=1

Russmerle
05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
- I'm sure you did this but check scope mounting... I've lapped rings and installed scopes on xxx rifles and still find myself retightening from time to time because I forget.

- Did you hit the range after fixing the bolt? If so maybe check a few other things.

- Can you shoot from a sled? Maybe take you out of the equation and go from there. Everyone has a bad day.

- What is the barrel twist/is 180 grn to light/heavy?

- This might seem like overkill but did you install the barrel? Is it possible that the barrel nut is not torqued to spec?

- Did you check headspace?

That's all I got really...

LoneWolf
05-06-2016, 08:21 AM
1. Action Screws usually torqued between 45-65 inch lbs depending on set up.
2. You said less than a box of ammo through it by you. How many rounds did it have on it previously? Owner may have sold it because the barrel was shot out and he didn't want to replace the barrel.
3. If it's a new barrel try a couple different types of factory ammo. If you're not reloading to tune it up, than you need to find a factory ammo that the barrel likes best.
4. with item 3 a box (20) Rounds is just barely breaking the barrel in.
5. Practice, do you have another rifle that you are capable of shooting small groups with? If this is your first Magnum Rifle it takes a lot more work to shoot a heavier recoil rifle than it does a light recoil rifle. You can get away with more inconsistency shooting a 6BR or 308 than you will with a do to the amount of force during recoil. i.e. shooter flinching, trigger control, breathing, and all the other fundamentals that come into play.

Russmerle
05-06-2016, 10:44 PM
5. Practice, do you have another rifle that you are capable of shooting small groups with? If this is your first Magnum Rifle it takes a lot more work to shoot a heavier recoil rifle than it does a light recoil rifle. You can get away with more inconsistency shooting a 6BR or 308 than you will with a do to the amount of force during recoil. i.e. shooter flinching, trigger control, breathing, and all the other fundamentals that come into play.

Good advice. It is a jump when you go from shooting .308 to 300wm. I can hold 1/2" prone with a couple of my .308 rifles and it was hell trying to get decent groups with the 300WM I built. User error was my problem. Had to get used to it.

micus
05-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys. In all honesty, the power increase is definitely noticeable, its got a lot more bark than I am used to. However, my go to rifle is a 7lb 30-06 that I reload for. I am able to shoot MOA out of it off the bench, sometimes a little better, but 3/4"- 1 1/4" groups are the norm for me.

what I have done so far is retightened the bolt nut on the back of the bolt assembly, swapped scopes for one I know to be bang on/repeatable, and switched brands of ammunition.

ill try it all again tmw and hopefully find the problem to be resolved. If not, I am not sure where to go from there..

homefrontsniper
05-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Superformance ammo sucks

Ryfulman
05-07-2016, 04:20 AM
Is there pressure on the barrel?
hows the throat. Could there be a lot of erosion.
Superperformance ammo worked very well for me when I didn't have any of my own.
What twst is the barrel. 180 grain ,might be too much if it's an old rifle.
Thats all I've got.

triehl27
05-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Miscus,
I had the exact same issue with a Win M70 I bought. Came with 4 boxes of premium ammo, 150gr and 165gr. Neither shot worth a dang. I loaded some of my own 168 and couldn't get a group worth mentioning. Honest 6-9" at 100yds

#1 I had a secondhand SWFA SS 16X scope that I had never checked to see if it was any good. It wasn't. Warranty replacement
#2 I had a bad scope rail that wasn't quite tight to the action. Replaced it with a WARNE rail, and matched EGW Rings.
#3 The rifle HATES light bullets. $50 a box all copper Barnes, or Premium Winchester, BLAH, if it isn't 190gr or better it won't shoot it worth a dang. I now shoot a 208 Amax at around 2800fps. 1 hole groups in the 1/2 MOA area.
#4 I run my action screws at 60inch lbs.
#5 I run my scope ring screws at 25 inch lbs, with a Warne preset wrench

Check your scope would be my first thought. Put it on a good consistent rifle that you know shoots well.
Bed your mounts to your action. I like a 1 piece scope mount for rigidity in a 300wm.
Sounds like your running good components in your build.

Pick up some different weight loads, 150, 165, 175, 190, 200, 210, 208 etc. That is a huge range of weights in the 300WM, and as with mine, some rifles won't shoot a particular bullet or weight. Best answer is to work up your own handload. But to start, I'd try some different bullet weights and styles.

Finally fit, my M70 was originally a 14.25 LOP Length of Pull. It didn't fit me as I am at 13.5" that .75" was crucial, I got rid of it and the rifle shot SO much better for me/.

Hello Gentlemen/ladies,

I recently just finished buttoning up a tinkering project rifle.

I purchased a used 110 in 300WM (less than one box through it ) off of an elderly gentleman, it is the old style action, square back. I went ahead and did the following modifications:

-Rifle Basix Sav 1 @ 2lbs
- Pillar and glass bedding of the action ( JB weld) used the 6mm br article as my guideline.
- floated tang
- Burris XTR bases
- Vortex tactical rings
- Vortex Viper 4-16 x 50 FFP

My intention with this rifle was to A) put something together that I could effectively take game out to distance with, and B) to have a fun entry level/beginners gunsmithing project. C) to see how cheap I could do it all for --ended up being about 1100 bucks as I bought the rifle and optic second hand but in excellent condition.

So I take it to the range today with a box of hornady superformance (180 gr sst @ 3100 fps) and it shoots... like dog crap!!

the best group I was able to get was about 3.5" with the norm being about 5"

I double checked the action screws and retorque to 20in lb - no difference.

I got home and noticed the bolt handle was really really loose, like jingling around loose. I disassembled the bolt and inspected, then re assembled it tight again to there is no more looseness.

besides the loose bolt everything else seemed fine,

anyone have any ideas where to start trying to figure this thing out?

thanks in advance,

Mike.

Russmerle
05-22-2016, 09:28 AM
You figure it out Micus?