PDA

View Full Version : Savage upgrades for shooting 'competition'

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kingair001
05-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Would it be possible to use a 'stock - out of the box' Savage in competition sort like of PRS

I know that these shooters use custom build rifles using Surgeon, Defiance, etc but would it be possible with a stock Savage rifle ?

Besides me as a shooter - will the action do the trick ?

There are some problems with extraction - how to solve this ?

What modifications would you do - action - barrel - shoot me all possible mods but with details please and what the result was or will be

I've been reading about getting the Savage action trued - will this make a lot of difference - did you had it done and what are your findings ?

I was thinking to use a :

1. Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 - prefer this round

2. Savage 10 FCP HS Precision in 308

bearcatrp
05-05-2016, 07:52 PM
The savage 10T in 6.5 cm will save you some cash, $599 only at cabelas. 24 inch bull barrel, 5R. Put the extra cash toward a good scope. Probably good enough until you buy a precision barrel. Basically a starter rifle. Better pro's than me can chime in with good suggestions.

LoneWolf
05-05-2016, 08:45 PM
PRS now has a factory class as well. I think the only draw back of the Savage is they need a lot of tuning and even then they always have numerous issues when it comes to cycling and feeding. Best thing on the market right now to get started is the RPR. It's already a highly upgradable platform, but they run pretty well out of the box until you're ready. You'll have to put more time and effort into a Savage set up to try and get it to feed and cycle anywhere close to the RPR.

I've built and spent a lot of time tuning 6 Savage Rifles. In the end I learned a lot of what I wanted in a rifle for use in PRS type matches and I ended up selling them all and built a custom. I would have a lot less money into it if I had just went with the custom action from the beginning!

LoneWolf
05-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Here's my setup built on the ARC Mausingfield action. Runs Savage Prefits and has a R700 footprint.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/a45349f9eb7c2c613ecf5a8116e1c948.jpg

Kingair001
05-06-2016, 12:16 AM
I just checked and PRS has a Production Division

Production Division combined rifle and scope MSRP as listed on the company’s website shall not exceed $3,000 USD
The rifle shall not exceed $2,000 USD and the optic not exceed $2,000 USD.

LongRange
05-06-2016, 10:03 PM
whats you budget for this?

Kingair001
05-07-2016, 01:45 AM
whats you budget for this?
If I go PRS Production Division 3,000.00 in total

That's their rule

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

brfussell
05-07-2016, 08:45 AM
PRS now has a factory class as well. I think the only draw back of the Savage is they need a lot of tuning and even then they always have numerous issues when it comes to cycling and feeding. Best thing on the market right now to get started is the RPR. It's already a highly upgradable platform, but they run pretty well out of the box until you're ready. You'll have to put more time and effort into a Savage set up to try and get it to feed and cycle anywhere close to the RPR.

I've built and spent a lot of time tuning 6 Savage Rifles. In the end I learned a lot of what I wanted in a rifle for use in PRS type matches and I ended up selling them all and built a custom. I would have a lot less money into it if I had just went with the custom action from the beginning!

LoneWolf,

You've indicated that the Savage actions as well as other factory actions, are not well suited to the competition due to feeding issues. If I'm misstating this I apologize. Are all the Savage actions basically the same or do they have a model that would work well as a donor? My Savage experience is limited to the M10 actions.

LoneWolf
05-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Let me rephrase that. I experienced numerous issues with feeding, extraction, and ejection when shooting high stressed timed events.

Now before this blows up again. I've seen numerous others have the same experiences. I went custom because I was tired of trying to fix/tune the Savage actionsbafter every match.

It is purely a failure of the bolt design. I had all the same issues with a Shilen DGR that also uses the same bolt design and Shilen was unwilling to look into it.

So I sold all my Savage Actions as well as moved the Shilen out of my safe and went to the custom set up I have now. I wanted to focus purely on my shooting and not mechanical issues or tinkering with gear all the time.

That being said. You can do everything under the sun to a Savage. Send it to Fred at SSS and get it fully doctored up. It will probably be the best running Savage action you have ever experienced, but I still would not have 100% confidence in it at the start of every stage in these type of matches.

The accuracy provided by a Savage in most cases is more than enough, but if you can't get a round chambered you simply can't focus on putting it on target.

brfussell
05-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Let me make it clear. I was not doubting your experience. My question was does Savage make a beefier action that would be more suited for competition or are they all basically the same.

LoneWolf
05-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Last time people got a little fired up. They have the same bolt design and as far as I can tell will all have the issues. That's why I also referenced the high end Shilen Action. Great action for anything else though.

DanSavage
05-07-2016, 10:17 AM
I have never had an issue feeding or extracting rounds on 2 action's a 10FP and a 110 long action, with multiple barrel's .223, .243, 6 br, .308. and 1000's and 1,000's of rounds.

BUT,,, I did see a guy last week at match get a case stuck in the chamber after he fired. The bolt came back without the case!,,when they got the case out I examined the cartridge and the rim looked fine. It didn't make much sense. This was on a Precision Target Action (PTA).

PRS is a competition that is much different than the Precision Rifle or Bench Class where all that is needed is raw extreme accuracy is needed.

The Savage will compete! You just have to have a proven gun and action if you want to cycle the bolt like the Flash.

LoneWolf
05-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Dan I'll agree with you. I never had issues either until shooting improvised positions under stress.

Kingair001
05-07-2016, 08:16 PM
The Savage will compete! You just have to have a proven gun and action if you want to cycle the bolt like the Flash.

I never had issues either until shooting improvised positions under stress.
That was just my question Dan

How do I know that I have a Savage - proven gun & action . . . ?

You see what happened to Lonewolf . . .

LongRange
05-07-2016, 09:34 PM
King does your LRP have a DBM?

DanSavage
05-07-2016, 09:58 PM
That was just my question Dan

How do I know that I have a Savage - proven gun & action . . . ?

You see what happened to Lonewolf . . .
You don't know until you take a given rifle to a said match and try it.

The best thing to do is go to a match and see what is working for the top shooters and ask questions. LoneWolf has found a great rifle for his purpose, and it works for him ,,I'D copy his rifle but ,I wouldn't know where to begin. Lol

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
05-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Dan, I could walk you through it if you're interested. No different than building a Savage with this action. It will change your opinion of what a bolt gun should be!

Kingair001
05-07-2016, 10:21 PM
King does your LRP have a DBM?
No but I have 2 Dark Eagle Custom magazines - can buy a few more

Or have a DBM Installed . . . if that get's me back to my initial post

I can shoot this Savage in PRS Production Division even with a nice scope to stay below the $ 3000.00 limit

I love this Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 . . . shoots really nice I must say . . . out of the box !

But I need to know if bolt, extractor, firing pin, etc . . . will make it . . . PRS shooting is pretty have on a rifle as we all know

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Kingair001/Mags/20151126_102734_zpscx2i8sqq.jpg (http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/Kingair001/media/Mags/20151126_102734_zpscx2i8sqq.jpg.html)

DanSavage
05-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Dan, I could walk you through it if you're interested. No different than building a Savage with this action. It will change your opinion of what a bolt gun should be!
I would like to know how
much goes into it money wise and the steps to build it.

I highly doubt that I will shoot many if any PRS style matches do to being too lazy and shooting at a bench.

The matches appear to be physically demanding, and my job alone is all my body can handle after 4 wheeler and farm accidents.

DanSavage
05-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Yeah Dark Eagle is a guy I know that can make a difference in cycling and feeding performance with a Savage action job and his magazine's.