PDA

View Full Version : My latest... hopefully greatest!! ;)

RatMag
05-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I finally got her put together. It took a bit of selling, buying, and trading, but it has now paid off!! Shoots great so far, but I still need to do some load workup. And, above all else, the KRG Alpha 180 feels amazing!! I am really happy with the way the whole thing has turned out!!

The speed has been doin well too. I am currently getting 2905fps out of the 20" tube!! Very consistent hits from 200 out to 700. I will be working with my current load data, at least until after my next match this weekend. Hopefully, I will be able to come back with a great report!! LOL

DK

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/z71rat308/Anna4a_zpsuummptju.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/user/z71rat308/media/Anna4a_zpsuummptju.jpg.html)

MasterOfPupets
05-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Can we get a review of the 180 alpha? I've been looking at it, but finding someone who has it has been **** near impossible

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
05-05-2016, 03:28 PM
I almost went to the KRG Chassis, but they seemed a bit heavy to me. Ended up going the McMillan A5 route. Been very happy with the consistency improvements in my shooting.

RatMag
05-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Overall, I am really quite happy with the chassis. My rifle, completely decked out with ammo, weighs in at 12.6 lbs. There isn't anything that I don't like about it, but I am curious about how the larger grip panels would have felt. I had my hands on a 180 chassis not too long ago, and it had the smaller grips, so I went with what I knew. The adjustability of the cheek rest can be done without tools, which is a huge plus to me.

I actually had another Manners MCS-T stock on order (21 weeks) with the mini-chassis, but I needed and wanted it quicker. I also didn't really want to get back into needing to figure out a way to make the cheek rest work without stuffing a ton of stuff under the pad again. Yes, I could have went with the TA stock, but that adds a ton of weight that I didn't want. So, KRG.

The ergonomics of this chassis is great!! The vertical grip is really good too, and it has built in thumb shelves on both sides, should you choose (which I like) to ride your thumb high. There is ample room for even a gloved finger to get to the trigger without any problems. Even with that, the trigger guard isn't TOO big to look like it was made for an alien.

The chassis center that holds the receiver, holds it nice and tight in the cradle. Much like the XLR, and FAR better than the HS3 or LSS chassis. The magazine well is ample sized as well, along with the edges having a nice radius to them, for ease of magazine insertion. The whole chassis is clean, and well thought out. The price was comparable to a more conventional stock with the additional cost of needing a bottom metal assembly, which is another thing that I would prefer to avoid... so I did.

The front end of the chassis isn't super long, and it fits the 20" barrel as you see it, quite well. The adjustable length of pull was nice to set it, and forget it. The recoil pad is a "Kick-ezz", and does a super job of recoil impulse absorption. There are multiple holes at various places all over the chassis, for just about anything you could want to install on the rifle. It also has the provisions for the night vision bridge to be installed with just adding some screws.

My Rifle Basix trigger fit inside the chassis perfectly, with no need for any modifications to the chassis. The recoil lug area is generous, so you won't have to grind it down to fit inside the chassis, unlike one of the other manufacturers that I will not call out directly. But yes, it has happened on another chassis that I tried to like, and immediately sent back due to fitment problems.

With that, I have to say, that I am extremely pleased with this system. I will be able to give you some further insight to you next week, after my match this Saturday. I will be putting the chassis through it's paces, and we can go from there. I use my stuff and not baby anything, and I sometimes I can get a bit carried away, so we will see if it holds up to my expectations. So, that is what I can think of to talk about at the moment. If you have any other specific things that you would like to know some answers too, just reply here, or shoot me a PM, and I will do my best to give you enough information to cover what you need to know.

DK

MI223
05-06-2016, 03:03 PM
What caliber and bullet? Seems like good speed for a 20

RatMag
05-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Good 'ol tried and true .243Win, with 40.5grns of IMR 4350, ignited by CCI 250's, pushin the Hornady 105 AMax's.

DK

RatMag
05-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Well, the weather really stunk. Thunderstorms, with wind average of 10-15mph, with a few gusts that exceeded 25mph. Spotting scope got blown over. Good thing for the protective cover! Money well spent.

I really thought I wasn't doin very well, as wind calls are my weak link. However, apparently I just did less bad than most. I ended up in 2nd Place, being behind by only 1 hit!!

Extremely happy with the chassis and my new Predator!! Even though my farthest hit was only 697, I did fairly well on the rest. I think I could have actually won the match with the exception of 2 bad screw ups on my part.

So, the only problems that were encountered were due to the actions of the nut behind the trigger!! The Predator, shooting my old load, and coupling that with the new chassis, I am really impressed with the setup.

I had several shooters asking about the rifle, chassis, and my Havester 30. It seemed that they couldn't believe how light the rig was, and the awesome ergonomics of the whole thing!!

This one's a keeper!!

DK

RatMag
05-08-2016, 08:46 PM
I take that part back... my shooting buddy Ray brought over the score sheets from the match. My farthest hit was actually 785 yards!! I feel better now... LOL!!

DK

Lorenzo
05-11-2016, 02:16 AM
I almost went to the KRG Chassis, but they seemed a bit heavy to me. Ended up going the McMillan A5 route. Been very happy with the consistency improvements in my shooting.

what was the price difference between the two? I am more of a Micmillan/ Manners type stock guy myself but there are some cool chassis out there. i just dont need much in the way of forend rail space so the traditional tactical stocks work great fore me. Really only musts for me are vertical pistol grip, semi wide fore end and adjustable comb. Adjustable buttpad would be nice plus.
Condsidering a bell and carlson a2 with a savage or a m40 bell and carlson or xray if I go the tikka route.

LoneWolf
05-11-2016, 07:44 AM
For the McMillan you'll pay $700-$825 for the stock if you can find it with the inlet you want. Then Bottom Metal is about $150-$335 depending on if you go PTG or Badger/Surgeon. I ended up going with a stock inlet for the Surgeon BM because I want a marble colored stock, plus flush cups, and the full 14.5" LOP, and that's what was available with all the options I wanted.

RatMag
05-11-2016, 09:43 AM
KRG was $808.00 plus shipping. I would have had a lot more in the Manners too, if I had gone that route, plus waiting 21-23 weeks.

DK

RatMag
06-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Latest version of the Battle Axe... I worked my butt off for this one!!

DK

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/z71rat308/AnnaAlpha1_zpsbf6yzkz0.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/user/z71rat308/media/AnnaAlpha1_zpsbf6yzkz0.jpg.html)