PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining center of balance

4Patriot
05-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Ok, just thinking ahead to the Rockite work I want to do on my new Savage Axis stock. From what I've read on other posts, filling the partitions on the stock fore end with Rockite adds about 4 oz. to the weight of the stock.

But the issue to consider is not just the weight, but the balance of the rifle. Adding 4 oz way out on the fore end will affect the balance more than adding the same weight into the butt, near the grip. The closer toward the center of balance, the less any given quantity of weight will affect the balance, right?

Given this consideration, and given the hollow in the butt stock, what is the right choice to make for the type and quantity of stiffener in the butt stock. It seems to me that if I fill the cavity with Rockite I will likely be adding too much. Anyone with experience on this have any ideas?

DrThunder88
05-05-2016, 04:17 AM
I didn't use Rockite, but I filled the wrist portion of the buttstock cavity with epoxy and the rest with expanding urethane foam. Really, it is up to you on how you want to set the balance. I'd fill both the forend and wrist first, scope the rifle, and figure out how much weight you'll need to add to get the rifle to balance where you want. Then you can add that weight to the corresponding end of the stock using lead shot or some such.

alltherage
05-05-2016, 05:39 PM
how did the foam do for the "hollow sound"? big difference?