PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Basix Sav-2 lowest setting

Maztech89
05-04-2016, 10:57 AM
I see the Sav-2 is listed as going as low as 4 ounces. I currently have a SSS competition trigger and it's at its limit at 12 ounces and this is a strictly benchrest 6BR so the lighter the better. What my question is is if I can really expect a 4 ounce trigger or darn close to it if I go with a Sav-2 without slam fires. Many of the reviews I've read talk highly of them set at 12-16 ounce range but I've not found much from people saying they went as far as they could on the bottom end and still remain functional. If I'm only going to be able to drop to 8-10 ounce I'll save my money but if you guys with them think I can realistically expect a 4-5 ounce setting then it will be a welcome upgrade.

For those that want to recommend the SSS evolution trigger that's not going to happen any time soon. I'm not waiting for a true and time to be performed as I'm just having all the parts show up now to start shooting this thing and I'm not looking to sit waiting any longer. Maybe over the winter I'll have it done but I'd like to change it up in the mean time.

Thanks for your input

Dennis
05-04-2016, 11:32 AM
I have 2 SAV-2's set up on my rifles. With carefully adjusting the triggers, I was able to set my between 5 & 8 oz's. I dropped both rifles butt first from 6 inches to the floor, and both passed without firing. I have never "slam fired" with these triggers, but I was being very careful. I use them in F/TR matches.

I might have to try this with the two rifles just to see. Otherwise their a great trigger.

Dennis

foxx
05-04-2016, 12:09 PM
I have used them all. And like them all. Best i can determine regarding safe limits, etc. is it depends on the rifle. Sav-2 can be set lighter, for sure, but i have had it drop when closing bolt HARD when at its lowest setting on one rifle, never another. I think you gotta play with them sometimes to get the most out of them. With both Sav-2 and SSS Comp, its a balancing act of moving/adj one screw then another and back to the third...

cowtownup
05-04-2016, 02:43 PM
I am going to say NO.... You cannot expect a 4 oz trigger from the Sav-2 safely... JMO...

Hosted
05-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Mine set at approximately 8 ounces and I WAS very happy with it until the other day when I was cleaning it. I could drop it flat on the butt without any problems. However if I pick the butt up about 4 or 5 inches and drop it from a bipod or rest it will go off every time. I'm going to work on it this weekend and see what I can do.

dwildemn
09-13-2017, 10:30 AM
I read the blogs and reviews (mostly favorable) and watched RB's install video and was ready to part with my money. Then I watched this guy trash it and gave it a 1 out of 10 - only good for upgrading on a hunting rifle! I only challenge myself when shooting from a bench but like to invest in upgrades that will be an improvement (like a 4-6 oz trigger). Watch his review if you haven't and react to it here please. Thanks.

RC20
09-13-2017, 12:46 PM
I have looked at it. It seems overly complicated.

I don't know the guy did 2 either.

That said, its seems its a solid 8 to 16 oz and that's plenty good for target/bench rest.

I can't imagine 4 oz in anything.

cowtownup
09-13-2017, 08:24 PM
i have two Sav-2 triggers and I've got them to break in the 8-12 ounce range pretty easily... Its weird because even though they both break at similar weight, the feel entirely different... I have one that feels excellent and I really like it and one that although it works good, just doesn't feel quite as crisp.

Maztech89
09-14-2017, 11:06 PM
I guess I'll follow up since I'm the OP. I bought the Sav 2 and set to work on it. I'm not crazy about the design and the modification to the sear but after 6-8 hours of tuning I got it to a reliable and consistent 4 ounces. The only way that happened was going to oversized trigger pins to eliminate slop. The trigger is cast and has a ton of side slop out of the box that required shims and a ton of tuning to get tolerable. The finish and casting lines leave a lot to be desired. It was my only option for the pull weight I wanted and eventually got it there.

I don't recommend them to anybody for a real light varmint trigger or anyone who doesn't have a lot of trigger tuning experience/understanding. They are prone to bump firing if the butt is dropped due to the intermediate lever bouncing. In my case on a true BR rifle only shot from a rest and rear bag it's perfectly safe for what I do. I'd never ever consider hunting with it.

RC20
09-14-2017, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the follow up. Great information.

dwildemn
09-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Agree - thanks. I'm going to give a try. Retired so have plenty of time to work on it

dwildemn
09-29-2017, 05:31 PM
As the saying goes, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes." Doesn't exactly describe my approach but comes close. I do not have innate mechanical skills but I have overcome that problem before. My end result was a 6 oz trigger tan withstood slam fire and butt drop but succumbed to the toe drop. I am like the op, with the shooting I do, it will not present a problem but I don't think I will allow anyone to shoot it unless under my supervision. Looking for small springs on a carpeted floor reminded me of the blind squirrel - I dropped all of them at least once. The mistake that led to my success I think was filing down the sear a little too much. The red spring was worthless but the white stiff spring worked! I retracted the pin from the intermediate lever to even with the flat surface. A few fine adjustment and I had 6 0z. Once I had everything installed and the stock attached, I found the bolt could not removed. Took the stock off and ground off the ear of the sear that prevents the bolt from being removed and that solved the problem. I went to the range and fired 35 rounds of 22-250 light loads which I normally shoot and the trigger was perfect. Took everything apart again after and everything looked and felt fine. Decided to do a final fitting and use locktite and this time I am at about 4.5 oz with same functionality. Will head to the firing range next week for final test. More lucky than good, I don't know but I am happy with the result.

Ratbuster
09-30-2017, 08:54 AM
I am going to say NO.... You cannot expect a 4 oz trigger from the Sav-2 safely... JMO...
Depends on the application. I own and use four SAV 2
triggers on PTA actions. They are adjusted under 4 ounces; one clicks off at 2.5 to 3 ounces. The rifles are high volume, single shot bench (varmint) use only. I never close the bolt until it's clear south of the muzzle and I have developed a habit of always closing the bolt slowly.

BTW, I had one of my PTA'S trued by Fred at Sharpshooter's last year. I asked about getting an Evolution trigger; unfortunately they quit making them. Lisa said it was too much work for Fred.