PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Barrel on a new 12FV

VAPA
05-02-2016, 08:41 PM
I bought a new model 12FV .223 Saturday from Cabelas, it has to have the dirtyest barrel that I have ever experienced on a new gun. I have been cleaning it on and off now for 3 days and still when I run a brass brush through it seems to stir up more black crud, is this normal?

snowgetter1
05-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Shoot it and move on.

holescreek
05-02-2016, 11:41 PM
I bought a 12 FV two weeks ago but aside from making sure the barrel was clear never ran a patch through it. Groups with my handloads have averaged .7". I say leave the black stuff in there!

Robinhood
05-02-2016, 11:54 PM
I have been cleaning it on and off now for 3 days and still when I run a brass brush through it seems to stir up more black crud, is this normal?

You might try a different method of cleaning. Use the brush to scrub the barrel with a solvent. Get it clean. Nothing good can come from shooting an excessively dirty barrel.

jray57
05-03-2016, 07:30 AM
I've had a similar experience with one I purchased last week. Foamed the bore and let it sit for hours before patching it out. Did that 4 or 5 times,usually getting some blue out even though the barrel had not had a round down it. Finally decided to do the JB thing and that seemed to take care of it. Just got it headspaced last night so haven't had a chance to see how it will shoot.

VAPA
05-03-2016, 11:26 AM
More Hoppes today followed by a dose of foaming bore cleaner got it clean.
Savage should change their machining fluids more often.

FiveInADime
05-03-2016, 05:35 PM
More Hoppes today followed by a dose of foaming bore cleaner got it clean.
Savage should change their machining fluids more often.
They test fire the gun. It's dirty from the test firing. That's why there's copper in the bore, as well. I Wipe-Out my barrels on new guns a couple times before firing.

After that, if the gun is shooting well, I don't even bother with the copper fouling for a long time. Every once in a while I'll run Wipe-Out a couple times to knock the copper out. I've never had a factory barrel that doesn't mine copper (Winchesters, Marlins, Rugers, Remingtons, and now Savage).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

VAPA
05-03-2016, 08:08 PM
They test fire the gun. It's dirty from the test firing. That's why there's copper in the bore, as well. I Wipe-Out my barrels on new guns a couple times before firing.

After that, if the gun is shooting well, I don't even bother with the copper fouling for a long time. Every once in a while I'll run Wipe-Out a couple times to knock the copper out. I've never had a factory barrel that doesn't mine copper (Winchesters, Marlins, Rugers, Remingtons, and now Savage).

They sure must use some nasty powder.......

FiveInADime
05-03-2016, 08:09 PM
They sure must use some nasty powder.......
Maybe it's a combination of multiple things but I know each of the last 3 guns I've purchased had copper in the barrel from test firing. Out-the-door-it-goes :)