PDA

View Full Version : Bullet coeff

Pages : 1 [2]

LoneWolf
05-03-2016, 03:10 PM
The Hornady's do drop the same to 600yds. But the Sierra's and Bergers stay tighter passed that. I've shot the AMAX's out to 1375yds with good data, but you need to start them off 100fps faster than the Bergers or Sierra's to keep up after that. As for the topic of accurate drops, they were good for me until velocity feel off. I loved the 178 BTHP's in my 308 before I switched to the 6mm. They run very conisistent.

Off the subject, but my method of doping wind with the 6mm is guessing a range of about 3mph. so I might estimate it at 3-6mph or 12-15mph etc. Then I look at my data for wind at that distance to determine my degree of error based on the target size. i.e. if the target fits inside my degree of error, I'll hold in the middle of that range. If the target is smaller than that degree of error, I'll do my best to shoot with the wind or when it falls off time permitting.

My current range is real funny though because out to about 300yds the flags mean nothing. Passed 300yds every flag might be doing something different.

I've found the 115DTACs to be my bullet of choice in the end. For me it's done better then the Berger Hybrid or the 107 Sierra even running 100FPS slower.

So on this particular range doping to 1 mph is **** near impossible since you're shooting between the different winds. In the last few matches I've done this pretty well. But there are plenty of days where I miss a lot of targets by a 1/10 or so.

Rob01
05-03-2016, 03:56 PM
I found the Hornady bullets stay just as tight in accuracy and elevation as the Bergers and Sierras in similar weights. If you are just talking about the 105 AMAX then it's lower BC will allow the higher BC 6mms to shoot flatter and better in the wind but if you try the 105 HPBT I am betting you won't see the same.

I use a similar method for wind. It works well and if a miss then a quick follow up will take care of it. Doping wind at longer ranges is always best guess but it's best to make it an educated guess. Only place you can be 100% sure of the wind is your location and it's not as important there.

eddiesindian
05-03-2016, 04:30 PM
The Hornady's do drop the same to 600yds. But the Sierra's and Bergers stay tighter passed that. I've shot the AMAX's out to 1375yds with good data, but you need to start them off 100fps faster than the Bergers or Sierra's to keep up after that. As for the topic of accurate drops, they were good for me until velocity feel off. I loved the 178 BTHP's in my 308 before I switched to the 6mm. They run very conisistent.

Off the subject, but my method of doping wind with the 6mm is guessing a range of about 3mph. so I might estimate it at 3-6mph or 12-15mph etc. Then I look at my data for wind at that distance to determine my degree of error based on the target size. i.e. if the target fits inside my degree of error, I'll hold in the middle of that range. If the target is smaller than that degree of error, I'll do my best to shoot with the wind or when it falls off time permitting.

My current range is real funny though because out to about 300yds the flags mean nothing. Passed 300yds every flag might be doing something different.

I've found the 115DTACs to be my bullet of choice in the end. For me it's done better then the Berger Hybrid or the 107 Sierra even running 100FPS slower.

So on this particular range doping to 1 mph is **** near impossible since you're shooting between the different winds. In the last few matches I've done this pretty well. But there are plenty of days where I miss a lot of targets by a 1/10 or so.
have the same issues with wind velocity and direction at the local military range I on occasion use. High banking berms to the left and right that are not located in same spots all the way out to 1K are problematic. And because of the flat dirt terrain, the mirage is terrible. Guys that are sporting high end glass even bark about the mirage.

Bill C
05-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Depends on the bullet design and shape. G1 was made for a much less aerodynamic projectile whereas G7 is for the more modern BTHP designs.

The only issue with G7 is that few manufacturers use it. Those that actually have G7 data of course dont have every projectile.

Edit: my load dope using G1 vs G7 for 223 to 1K yards was almost negligible anyway. Point, load dope that you verify will always be better than a mathematical model

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

upSLIDEdown
05-09-2016, 12:47 PM
A lot of this will also depend on what ballistics app/solver you use. Some seem to be more accurate than others. They're all EXTREMELY dependent on the info you put in, so if you don't put in good info, you won't get good data out. Your gun setup, your environmentals, your distances, all of these things.

Another very important one is making sure you scope is tracking like it should. Some will get more or less than .1 mil, or .25moa with each click. Doing a tall target test is the best way to find this out. Some apps will have a place you can adjust for this, because it's not something you can actually change in the scope, you just need to be able to account for it.

I personally use Shooter, and it works great. I shoot regularly out to 1100 yards using it. I've recently downloaded Trasol and want to play with that and see how it does, but I haven't messed with it much yet.

eddiesindian
05-10-2016, 11:16 PM
A lot of this will also depend on what ballistics app/solver you use. Some seem to be more accurate than others. They're all EXTREMELY dependent on the info you put in, so if you don't put in good info, you won't get good data out. Your gun setup, your environmentals, your distances, all of these things.

Another very important one is making sure you scope is tracking like it should. Some will get more or less than .1 mil, or .25moa with each click. Doing a tall target test is the best way to find this out. Some apps will have a place you can adjust for this, because it's not something you can actually change in the scope, you just need to be able to account for it.

I personally use Shooter, and it works great. I shoot regularly out to 1100 yards using it. I've recently downloaded Trasol and want to play with that and see how it does, but I haven't messed with it much yet.
Yep.... Ive seen "some" ballistic drop calculators (wont mention names) not coincide at all with my known drop adjustments.
When I started using Bergers VLD,s I made the mistake of using other ballistic drop calculators. I quickly gained Bergers drop calculators respect. Its been spot on for me.
Like you, Im more often than not going distance 1K out to 1400ish and its a real bummer when your drop calculator is off.
Sure wish Hornady had better G7 for the 68gr MHPBT in .224