PDA

View Full Version : How to uncock bolt when removed from rifle

Tozguy
07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
I feel like a dunce but here goes anyway. I am in the habit of storing guns with the bolt removed and stored in a different location. Also, the bolt is uncocked before storing. Can a model 12 bolt be easily uncocked by hand and if so how the h--- can we do it? Believe it or not but I am serious. ;)

rlpointer
07-14-2010, 11:41 AM
The question I would ask is why? Military surplus rifles are stored for decades with the bolt closed in the cocked position. There is no need for worry about changing spring tension if that is your concern.
Richard

82boy
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
To uncock,
Take you thumb and push the cocking pin over. Done.

EFBell
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
to recock push the cocking pin against the edge of your bench, turn slightly and your ready to reinstall.

Tozguy
07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
82boy, done with my thumb as you said, thanks, spring is not as stiff as I had expected.

EFBell, recocked as you suggested, no sweat, thanks to you too.

davemuzz
07-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Tozguy makes a good point. I think.....and I have to check.....which would require me to go to my secret man cave, open my gun safe, pull out one of my Savage's, take out the bolt, uncock the bolt....and then attempt to install the bolt back into the action while the bold is uncocked.

But....First: I'm not gonna do that right now. Second: If memory serves me right (and that's more dangerous than Obama on a handgun range with live ammo) I don't think you can install the Savage bolt in the action unless the bolt is cocked.

But.....I could be wrong. I was wrong once....back in 1974.

Dave

pa hog
07-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Note.... They are hard to re-cock with your thumb stuck in it, as eyes begin to water almost instantly.

pdog06
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Note.... They are hard to re-cock with your thumb stuck in it, as eyes begin to water almost instantly.

agreed!

drybean
07-14-2010, 10:44 PM
amend

sharpshooter
07-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Save yourself the grief and leave it cocked....your'e not accomplishing anything by de-cocking, the spring is still compressed even when fired.

Tozguy
07-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Then wipe your eyes and press the cocking pin against the edge of the bench as you rotate the bolt.
Instead of eyes watering, lips will curl up into a smile :)

PEI Rob
07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
You can cock by using a rag to protect your thumb, I do it very often when working on them. I leave mine cocked.

Harriershot
07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
If you want to leave the bolt in the gun with the firing pin forward but you don't want to dry fire it just simply do the following.
Slide the bolt all the way forward, pull the trigger, now rotate the bolt handle downward while holding the trigger back. Once the bolt is all the way down let go of the trigger and the firing pin is safely forward. That is the way I store all my rifles.

Charlie