PDA

View Full Version : Model 10T

hcaroselli
05-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Hello - I am a new forum member and this is my first post, other than my introductory post. I have a question/issue with a Model 10T and if this has been raised before please point me toward those threads.

The Model 10T was only available at Cabela's as far as I know. I bought mine a little over 1 year ago. It is a .308 and has everything I was looking for. I am new to the sport so I thought this would be a great rifle to eventually get into longer distance shooting. The range where I go now has a maximum distance of 200 yards. My rifle has a Vortex scope and the ammo I have been using varies from surplus bulk to match grade.

My problem is that my rifle is wildly inaccurate and inconsistent. FWIW, I have a CZ .22 and I can consistently shoot ¾ - 1 inch groups at 50 yards. Other shooters have used the Savage, all of whom are much more capable and experienced than I am; that is if you consider a 20 something, recently retired from the USMC as a Scout Sniper, more capable; and others as well. Once we finally get it on paper we cannot duplicate results. To date we have tried at 50 yards and 100 yards. The scope has been sent to Vortex and they cleaned it and tested it and said it was fine. As mentioned, different ammo does not change things. The rifle is currently with, the aforementioned Marine. He and his Dad are more than competent with gunsmithing tasks, and so far they have not found anything that might account for this anomaly. When they re-assemble the rifle it will be test fired. I am hoping for the best and planning for the worst. If the rifle still does not shoot what can I do next? Will Savage replace it after all this time? As you guys probably know, there are many YouTube videos showing this same rifle easily making 500 - 1,000 yards shots.

I am open to suggestions.
Thanks.

Process_engineer
05-01-2016, 02:05 PM
How many rounds do you have down it? My 10T had issues for the first 100 rounds, and issues up to 200 rounds with copper fouling.

Others have mentioned that this is due to tooling marks. Their suggestions were to try Tubb's fire lapping.

What loads are you shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearcatrp
05-01-2016, 03:27 PM
If your shooting quality ammo and still have issues, you should have contacted Savage. Bought mine last year. Tac driver. Have heard from others that a few bad ones went out. Did you try another scope besides vortex? Don't hesitate to call savage. What ammo are you shooting? Try hornady 168 a-max or heavier bullets. Am shooting 178 ELD-X with great success. Just finished load development with Hornady 208 ELD-M and varget.

Process_engineer
05-01-2016, 03:31 PM
I had "issues" with 147gr. 168's I get sub-MOA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bearcatrp
05-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Try 178 A-max, match or ELD ammo. You will like them better. Cheap ammo is cheap ammo for a reason. Won't shoot for ****. If you don't reload, try superformance in 168 or 178 grain. Cost a little more but shoots awesome.

Process_engineer
05-01-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm loading 168 HPBT Hornady Match. I haven't been able to find A-Max or ELD locally yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bearcatrp
05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
If its commercial ammo, your stuck with there OAL. Match bullets like almost kissing the lands. Found this out with the 178 regular match bullets. I reloaded both A-Max and match to 2.800. A-Max shot great. Match looked like a shot gun blast. Once I put them real close, tightened right up. Know anyone who reloads?

hcaroselli
05-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks everyone. At this point I may have only put about 100 rounds through it. Tried many different types of ammo. I'll see what happens when I get it back. Thanks again.

Process_engineer
05-02-2016, 02:58 PM
I would try shooting a bunch of cheep **** or buy the Tubb's Fire Lapping bullets. I saw improved accuracy beyond 100 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearcatrp
05-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Just a FYI, I have both 10T in 308 and 6.5cm. The 308 shots just awesome. Am having issues with the creedmoor. Can't group for ****. Made the mistake putting it in a new chassis before shooting it. After 3 range trips and around 100 rounds shot, will be putting it back in the original chassis and see what happens. If it still does it, Will be contacting savage you have it sent in. Am getting inside a 6 inch target, all over the place. Am disappointed.