PDA

View Full Version : 11vt extraction issues

doubtful
05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I am working up 168 and 180 grain loads for my relatively new Dicks 11VT, and have run into a curious problem. These are mid-range loads with IMR 4895 from the standard reloading manuals, nothing hot, with once or twice-fired Remington brass. All brass is resized in the same batch process, length trimmed, and all cases are checked in a Wilson gauge after sizing and again after loading to insure uniformity. All powder loads are individually checked and weighed, so they are uniform as well. Bullets are 168 and 180 grain match. The curious issue-- the 168 grain loads all extract with no issue, but the 180 grain loads will not budge, and I have to open the bolt handle and tap out the spent case with a cleaning rod. The only difference between loads is the bullet, with everything else being constant. Powder weight doesn't seem to be an issue, as the same weight of powder gives me no extraction issues with 168 grain bullets, but problems with 180 grain bullets. The problem goes across the three or four mid-range powder weights I've been using. Accuracy is good with both, but I've given up on the 180 grain loads until I can solve this problem-- I worry about having to stick a cleaning rod down the muzzle, even if it is brass and fiberglass. There is no indication of pressure problems when examining the spent brass (and that should not be an issue with these powder loads), and nothing out of ordinary with the brass as far as I can tell. An interesting point is that the fired brass still fits exactly into the Wilson case gauge, indicating the chamber and headspacing is perfect (?).

Any clues as to what's going on? I am not new to reloading and shooting, but I've never run across extraction issues before in a bolt gun.

Thanks for any suggestions!

D

wbm
05-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Odd problem for sure....but there is a pressure difference somewhere (between the 168 and 180 loads) that is causing some binding...either in the neck or case body. Got any other brass besides Remington? Are you full length resizing?

Robinhood
05-01-2016, 12:03 PM
You did not mention your COAL. If you are jamming that might be the issue as well. What is your load weight? It may be as simple as a Primary Extraction.

rbp75503
05-01-2016, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Robinhood;364651]You did not mention your COAL. If you are jamming that might be the issue as well.

That's the 1st thing that came to my mind to check and make sure to check your ogive to lands.