PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used these pillars?

futurerider103
05-01-2016, 10:42 AM
I am going to be putting pillars in my Richards Microfit Custom Rollover stock and I was just wondering if anyone has used these

https://www.stockysstocks.com/accessories/bedding-supplies/savage-10-110-steel-pillar-sets.html

adammiddagh
05-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Those look nice, but the shoulder would make installation slightly more complicated. I have used lamp rod for the three I have done. Then they are the appropriate length for the bolts that I have.

I make the rods to fit. Coat bolts, action, and id of rods with release agent. Then install pillars and bolts into action. Then test fit. Take stock off, epoxy, reinstall stock and clamp/support.

foxx
05-01-2016, 09:13 PM
They are factory pillars, but there is no way of knowing if they will be the correct length for your stock because yours is custom. The only way i know is to cut lamprod long and then trim/grind/file to fit. Thats true no matter what stock you are using, really.

LongRange
05-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Brownels has adjustable pillars that make fitting much easier and are only a few more bucks for a set.

Texas10
05-02-2016, 12:48 AM
In my Richards Microfit I used the original Savage pillars removed from my original stock, which are like the ones you refer to. To make a perfect fit, you'll need to counter bore the pillar hole to fit the head, and make the counter bore a little too deep. You'll know it's too deep when you install the action into the stock and the pillar and screw don't hold it down tight. There will be some movement apparent.

Then, when you are bedding your action, wrap tape around the action screw to help center it in the pillar and apply wax or mod release to the screw (with tape) and pillar. Goop some epoxy under the head of the pillar and install it into the stock/action while using rubber bands, bicycle tire inner tubes, straps etc to hold the action into the stock.

When cured, remove the screws, pop the action out and clean up excess.

This way, your action pillar will fit tight and proper. If you want to make it permanent, just don't wax the outside of the pillar when installing and wet with epoxy. i make it removable in my 223 but you might want it permanent in a magnum rifle.

BTW: do you own or have access to a drill press?

futurerider103
05-02-2016, 07:56 AM
I have put pillars in before just not on a 10/110. Yes I do have a drill press

Texas Solo
05-03-2016, 08:23 PM
I am going to be putting pillars in my Richards Microfit Custom Rollover stock and I was just wondering if anyone has used these

https://www.stockysstocks.com/accessories/bedding-supplies/savage-10-110-steel-pillar-sets.html

I bought the same pillars for my Richard's Prone Culberson stock. No way they work. I ended up using lamp rod. Two issues with them:

1) their way too fat. If you look at how much material you'll have to remove to get them in, you'll notice that you will not have solid wood surrounding the rear pillar.
It's fairly thin in that area, even with the lamp rod.
2) the length is way off.

Bolthead
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM
I bought a set of aluminum pillars for the 116, but like Texas Solo, decided I really didn't want to remove that much material. On the front pillar, I drilled the hole just slightly smaller than the lamp rod, then threaded the hole with a pipe tap. Coated the hole threads and the pillar with Devcon and screwed it in using a rat tail file to turn it. With the pipe threads, the pillar is tight at the bottom and loose enough at the top to allow some room for the epoxy due to the taper of the tap. That sucker is not going anywhere. The rear hole was drilled just a tad larger than the pillar to allow some wiggle room to set the pillars.

Newsshooter
05-06-2016, 12:40 PM
I made mine for my savage rimfire using brass pex fittings from HS.